Tuesday 20 October 2009

The web widens

These spiderweb blocks are growing on my design wall. I need to make a new comforter cover, and I wanted to string piece on foundations instead of paper so I didn't have to pick out all the paper bits. These spiderweb blocks are an adaptation from Bonnie Hunter's pattern, and are pieced directely on the neutral foundation. I'm using various shades of red in the stips, but they're all the same size. I'm also using several neutrals, since I bought several metres in different colours this summer and I don't want to buy anything new for a string quilt.
I used a few selvages as well as many, many strips and bits from my scraps and strings box. Below is one where I've used selvages with the pattern printed right to the edge. I have lots of selvages like that, but it is a bit tedious to make the spiderwebs that way, since I have to sew on lots of strips.

Although the end product is neat, the process isn't.  My sewing table has lots of little bits on it, and so does the floor. Hey, the creative process is often messy and so is working with strings. My garbage can is also full of little bits -- I'm proud to say I'm discarding all the tiny off-cuts without any pangs of conscience. When life gives you scraps, make a quilt, but when you're making a scrap quilt, you can throw out the scraps of scraps.

15 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

Strings make the biggest mess! But they are so worth it. Your spiderweb is looking great!

PrairiePeasant said...

I like the look of the spiderweb. It's got an optical illusion feel to it. I'm enjoying learning to strip piece but need to learn to let go of those little scraps.

Joyce said...

Very nice. I like the way the red ties it all together. You are right. Saving scraps of scraps would be carrying things a bit too far.

Millie said...

Lovely spiderweb quilt...the red brings all the scraps together.

woolywoman said...

Nice! I have the same rule, that I throw out scraps of scraps. I think letting the bits pile up on the floor allows for an improvisational look at color juxtaposition. ( You have to say that last bit with a straight face, and a holier than thou art student look on your face!)

Dena said...

I love the design of your quilt once the blocks are assembled. Great job!

Purple Pam said...

Great spider web blocks. I have a magnet on my refrigerator that reads: A Creative Mind is Rarely Tidy. I believe that wholeheartedly!

Tonya Ricucci said...

beautiful. you're supposed to throw out the scraps of scraps??? hee hee hee

Myra said...

Looking good Brenda! 8-)

Sharon said...

This looks great - and I like your idea of piecing on the foundation. I have a bunch of papers to tear off my latest string quilt, and it's tedious AND messy. I'm now making some crumb blocks and am allowing/making myself throw out the scraps of scraps, so I'm glad it's OK to do that! *grin*

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Your quilt looks great. This is one of my favorite patterns and I made a quilt with the spider web pattern back in the 60's. (it wore out long ago)

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

Your spiderweb WIP is wonderful. I love the graphic structure the red strips make.
I did a scrap quilting workshop a couple of years ago, and my sewing room looked just like yours while I was sorting scraps and making samples. Creative mess is not that bad; I hear it's even good for you:-)

Scrappy-Quilter said...

I love your spiderweb blocks and agree when making these they are a bit messy. Great job!

heath said...

Hey, Brenda!

I was trying to figure out how your spiderweb is different from "The Rocky Road to Kansas" on Quilters Cache. I can't do the same quilt as you, after all. That would be plagiarism... How IS that paper coming, speaking of things like plagiarism...? Miss your blog updates!!!

Vals Quilting said...

I love the web widens - it looks like you used a 60 degree ruler - is that right? nice job - how big will this one be? Was it a pattern or something you made up?
Valerie
http://www.pastimesonline.ca/vals-quilting/

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>