Thursday 13 August 2009

A 50 cent summer deal


I scored this big book of needlework stitches for 50 cents at the used book table at my library today. It was originally published in 1950, although this edition dates to 1964. The patterns are dated, and quiltmaking doesn't get nearly as much attention as embroidery, crewel, and other needlework styles, but it's a good reference for various stitches and techniques, especially at this price. Inside the front cover I found some more patterns and reference material. I'm not sure if I'll be smocking any time soon, but I might try that Jacobean embroidery pattern sometime.

When I was in St. Jacobs, Ont. earlier this summer, I went on the hunt for light and medium solids for a log cabin quilt I want to make in an Amish style. St. Jacobs is home to many horse-and-buggy Old Order Mennonites, and I found a small quilt shop run by a white-capped Mennonite woman where solids were $5 a metre. She cut very generous metres (about 42 inches) and now I have rounded out my solid stash.

3 comments:

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

i like the color combination for the Amish quilt you picked up! the red, ochre and teal are up my alley!

Joyce said...

Nice fabric. There's no better souvenir than fabric!

Tonya Ricucci said...

great to have more solids and what a price!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>