Tuesday 13 October 2009

There's no place like a wonky house


 Click to enlarge -- it's worth it!

It's a flimsy! I've finished the top of "There's no place like home", which measures 50 by 60. I meant for this to be throw size, and I started making this as a gift for someone specific, but along the way, I've changed my mind. I'm pleased with how this turned out, but I just decided not to present it to the initial recipient for reasons that have nothing to do with quilting, so I won't bore you with that. I think this is a fun and lively quilt, and I counted about 50 different fabrics in here. I've been heavily influenced by Gwen Marston and Freddy Moran and their Collaborate Quilts books. Moran especially puts in 100 different fabrics and lots of black and white. I didn't quite make it to 100, but there's lots of black and white. I made the piano key border with b/w prints, mixed in with some green. The words are a bit scrappier and wonkier than my usual style, but I think they work with the variety of houses. Now this goes on the "To be quilted" pile. I'm still a novice machine quilter, and this isn't calling out for hand quilting, so I haven't yet decided how to proceed.
Posted by Picasa

18 comments:

Vicki W said...

What acute quilt!

wordmama said...

The green mixed with the b/w prints really pulls the quilt together, don't you think? Then the other colors just POP. I am a HUGE Gwen Marston fan. I have the second Collaborative Quilts book, only because I saw it first. They're both brilliant, but together, WOW, they're even better!

Just thought I'd share...

SandyQuilts said...

I absolutely love love it. AND I wish it was coming to reside at my house. Beautiful.

PrairiePeasant said...

I love seeing the evolution of your quilts, and really like the final piece here! Now if you can tell me how to get more hours in my day, I want to make one of these too!

Millie said...

Love this quilt! I've got a house quilt of my own in progress. I'd set it aside, but I think it's calling me from the next room...

Elaine Adair said...

Outstanding!

jovaliquilts said...

It's *definitely* worth clicking to enlarge! I love how you filled your houses -- the Eric Carle one is so whimsical, and the love/laugh ones are just perfect. No place like home, indeed!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Absolutely MARVELOUS flimsy ... Congrats on the finish!!!!!

What fun!

pwl said...

Oh wow. That is so cool!

Rosalyn Manesse said...

I'm calling a moving van as soon as I decide which of these little houses I like the best!

Millie said...

Great quilt...lovely houses!

Joyce said...

Gorgeous! You are welcome to come over here to quilt it now that I am back home.

Sharon said...

Wow! This is so cute! I love the littlest houses surrounded by all the white. And LOVE that color scheme. I'm really "into" green lately, and it just pops with the b&w. I think your words, with all the different colors, work really well with all the houses of different colors.

I can see the influence of Freddy & Gwen here, but this one is YOURS. I think that's the hard part - learning from them, but making it your own. I think you did great with that!

Purple Pam said...

What a darling quilt. I love the lime green. Your style really shows through. Great job!

Deborah said...

Love your quilt! I have been making houses for an auction quilt. Mine are a bit more structured. I hope to let go on the next one.
www.caitty1@blogspot.com
Deborah

Unknown said...

Love, love,love it!!! Great job!

Michele said...

I'm in love! What a great quilt!

Kelly O. said...

this is fabulous!!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>