Friday 9 October 2009

Pumpkins for Bloggers quilt festival


Stroke of Midnight, 72 by 80
Machine pieced, machine quilted
For the Bloggers Quilt Festival hosted by Amy of Park City Girl, I'm displaying this bed quilt now owned by a friend (see her monogram in the lower right corner) because it was a quilt that almost didn't happen. I made the crumb blocks out of leftovers from an elementary school project where we made a string quilt together. I intended this to be a donation quilt, but somehow made it too small for their specifications. Then my friend saw it and loved the colours, and I added borders to get it to fit her bed. I love the pumpkin sashing and the random, graphic splashes of royal blue in the blocks. At a recent show, this quilt attracted a lot of attention because it was the only scrap quilt there and other quilters asked me how to make the blocks. So I'm posting this one here because it was a happy accident that celebrates a very tried and true principle of quilting: use what you have! Check out the rest of my blog at scraps and strings.blogspot.com

24 comments:

Dee said...

and it's a blessing to all when you do....visually stunning quilt that has a wonderful story to go with it! thanks for sharing!

Myra said...

Very eye catching B! Great machine quilting! 8-)
Happy stitchings!

Kim said...

Love crumb blocks.......so relaxing to just sew and not have to match any seams or points :0)
this is great looking.
Happy Sewing

The Calico Cat said...

I think the orange & blue are great in this quilt!

Terri Stegmiller said...

This is such a fun quilt!

Zonnah said...

It is beautiful!

Misterpaulman said...

I am from Florida and all I can say is GO Fators. The colors are popular around here and the quilt is fantastic.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Great quilt and good advice for all of us...use what we have!!

Anne at Film and Thread said...

That's a great lesson in not throwing fabrics leftovers out!

Marit said...

It turned out great! Love the orange and blue, it makes it sing!

Shari said...

Love, love, love the orange! What a lucky friend!

Sara said...

Thank you for sharing such a neat quilt.

Janet Brady said...

I really like the interesting combination of the colorful, abstract blocks and the traditional sashing and cornerstone setting. Great job!

Tonya Ricucci said...

always love this quilt - you did such a great job. I love the pumpkin too!

Rene' said...

Great quilt. Love that you use scraps. I have not heard the term crumb blocks. Is that just using scraps to piece as you like? Thanks for sharing.

Rhondi said...

I love scrap quilts too and am trying to use up some of my stash right now on some quilts. Blue and orange is such a great combination. I just made a baby quilt in those colors for our newest grandson.

Leslie said...

very pretty....i love the colors

Zarina said...

Haha - I too submitted my 'pumpkin' quilt for the festival as well (since I did not have that many quilts to show).

Deborah said...

great colors! particularly fun for this time of year

Julie Bagamary said...

Great use of scraps.

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Love it, love it.

Dresden Quilter said...

It's a stroke of genius! You have a lucky friend!

Jeannette said...

Oh what fun I had prowling around your blog! There is something so organic, captured in your story of this too small to give quilt made larger for a freind's bed, about all that you are doing here....and they are as pretty as they are fun. thank you for your sharing

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

Fabulous! I love that you have used orange as "neutral"!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>