Monday 26 October 2009

Ugly duckling no more


I'm busy with writing deadlines this week, so the only quilts you'll see here today are made by someone else. My fellow guild member Anne showed off this top that's beginning to look like a swan. When it is finished, it is headed for a local charity. It is made from two fabric donations from my mother: the busy print was once a half-finished dress passed on to her by my aunt. It was simply quite hideous as a dress, even in the times of Laura Ashley floral prints, but the fabric was a nice weight, and there was lots of it in the full skirt, plus a bit of yardage. Click on the picture to get the full blast of the print. The solid purple is a recycled church banner, and when my mother heard that Anne takes donated fabric to make  quilts to give away, Anne hit the jackpot. I think Anne did well with this project, considering what she started with. On the floor is a table runner made by Heather, who was just wondering when I'd update my blog. She's making it from leftover jelly roll strips, and was auditioning borders to get it a bit bigger. It's also a swan, but it skipped the ugly duckling stage. Thanks to both of you for the scrap quilt inspiration.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Rosalyn Manesse said...

What a lovely quilt for donation. Very inventive, to recycle in this way.

Finn said...

Hi Brenda, great quilts both! I love almost any idea that helps use up the odd bits left from jelly rolls. I haven't ever purchased a jelly roll, but have had some given as gifts and then one a give away of a jelly roll.
I really like what she did with the donated floral. Works well with that lavendar. Where there's a will there's a way. Hugs, Finn

heath said...

Thanks for the update... I check every day you know!

I think my borders are too light, now that I see them. Sigh.

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>