Thursday 12 July 2018

Cute baby on a quilt, part 2



I started this flying geese quilt in May, and finished it four weeks later
just in time for the birth of its owner in late June.
This baby was born in Germany to a Canadian dad
and American mom, so I thought a flying geese quilt might represent something of his heritage.

I used a set of indigo and neutral prints, and made dark geese and light geese.
But I'm not one for using just matching fabrics,
so I threw in some solids to brighten it up, as well as other blue prints.
Four of the columns of geese fly north, 
representing baby's Canadian dad (my cousin)
and the others fly south, representing his mom.

I backed it with what appears to be a knock off of a Heather Ross gold fish print,
(not that I knew it was a knock-off when I purchased it.)
I'm a pragmatic quiltmaker,
and this fabric was wide enough and lends a juvenile feel
to an otherwise unbabyish quilt.
You can see the quilting lines on the back.
I quilted in the ditch using a walking foot,
making chevron patterns by going up and down two rows of geese.

I completed the whole thing in time for family members to take it with them to Germany.
Now I'm happy to give away a quilt but I'm not thrilled about  paying international postage.


Flying North and South
42 by 51 inches
machine pieced and quilted

Click here to see another baby flying geese quilt I finished last fall.

I'm linking up with other Friday finishers


9 comments:

Paulette said...

That's beautiful! Love the colorful pops among the geese. Cute little baby too!

Ramona said...

You’ve made a wonderful baby quilt. And it will go beyond the baby phase. Great colors and design.

Louise said...

Always so wonderful to see a happy, healthy baby using their own special quilt!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

How sweet!! And it is a beautiful quilt! Flying Geese are one of my favorites!

Sharon said...

Great quilt! Very boy-ish and it will transition to an older age easily. I love the little pops of color in the geese. Cute baby too!

Yes, shipping, even within the U.S., is insanely expensive anymore! I'm glad you had someone to take it for you. (Safer that way too, sadly.)

patty a. said...

The quilt turned out so beautiful! Great job!

Barb said...

what a sweet baby and baby quilt!

Nann said...

Pragmatic quilter--I like that! And I like the quilt, too.

Ann said...

What a lovely quilt, full of meaning front and back, north and south. Congratulations.

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>