Friday 25 May 2018

Turning a pile of pants into a Friday finish


There were  too many jeans at my house with irreparable rips.
I will patch knees, but can't see my way around fabric rips
near the back butt seam.

So I decided to make a car blanket for my son's birthday,
and he provided the raw materials

I cut the legs into rectangles in three widths,
and sewed them together in long colums
and backed it with a 108 inch wide Henry Glass print.


Here you can see that I quilted the layers together 
(no batting, just top and bottom)
with red 28 wt. thread to match the backing

and I free motioned his name and address onto one of the patches.
You can see the imprint of his wallet on that dark blue pocket.


I also spent four days earlier this month free motion quilting a quilt for my mom.
She made if for my niece's high school graduation  (last June)
but for many reasons, it only got done now.

My mom made similar quilts for my other niece and my son for their grads,
and I also quilted those for her.
We took the opportunity last weekend to get a shot of all three of them with their quilts.
You can see the colour variation in them.
And here's the proud grad with her grandma.

I'm linking up with other Friday finishers:



7 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

The quilts your Mom made for the graduates are gorgeous, but I absolutely LOVE the denim car quilt that you made for you son!!! What could be better than a wallet imprint?? LOL

Ariane said...

I love the denim quilt. Such a great use for those torn pants. The grad quilts are beautiful too. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Clever car blanket and a great way to use those too-sad-to-save jeans. Lovely bright colorful graduation quilts.

Lisa J. said...

that denim car quilt is really lovely and a great use for old jeans. I also love the grad quilts.

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

What a great way to use up denim. And I love the red stitching. Thanks for linking up with TGIFF.

Mary Marcotte said...

I am sure the grandkids all love their quilts. The picture is extra special.
I like your car quilt idea. Goodness knows there are enough old jeans around this place to make one or two. Of course, there are more vehicles than ruined jeans!

patty a. said...

All of the quilts turned out great and it has to feel good that they are all done!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>