Friday 4 May 2018

Four-day finish!

I had a quilting deadline last week, and I'm happy to say I made it.
I'm used to deadlines in my professional life,
but for various reasons, I missed completing the quilt 
meant for my niece's high school grad last June.
I decided to finish it for my mom's guild show, which opens today.
My mom pieced at least three tops from her hand dyed fabrics in 
Tricia Cribbs' classic Turning Twenty pattern.
Those big blocks provide lots of room for quilting in texture,
and I've already quilted the previous two, which you can see here.

She also bravely overdyed some leftover blocks from her first attempt at a Baltimore Album quilt.
So I figured a floral and leaf theme would work.
I've been quilting flowers and leaf wreaths and some random fills

and it mostly turned out great.
There's some nice motifs
and some okay stitching,
and some really bad stitches.
I ripped out the worst of them and started again.

The deadline to drop off quilts was Wednesday,
and by Tuesday evening we had the binding on.
It only took 18 months of waiting,
four days of stitching,
five hours of ripping out or burying threads
and three hours of driving, 
but it's done.

I've washed the excess dye from my quilting gloves
and put my threads away
and now I feel warmed up for my next free motion quilting project.

I'm linking up with other Friday finishers here:

7 comments:

Julierose said...

Beautiful use for those leftover blocks--that basket is amazing..and the colors are so pretty in your piece...hugs, Julierose

em's scrapbag said...

Wonderful! Your quilting is gorgeous

Quiltdivajulie said...

Whew! Big task completed -- good for you!

Louise said...

Love the flowers quilted to be overflowing from the basket! And what a neat idea to overdye those old blocks :)

Gemini Jen NZ said...

Awesome work! Well done.

patty a. said...

Congratulations on getting this quilt done. It tuned out very pretty.

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

Better late than never LOL It was nice that you were able to get everything quilted before the show. Thanks for linking up with TGIFF.

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>