Friday 27 April 2018

A huge Friday finish!

I have a huge finish to share:
This scrappy log cabin made in a quilt as you go style.
Members of my quilt guilt started this project in September,
and at our March meeting, we hand sewed the binding down.
It has about 2,500 pieces, all from our scrap bags
and the batting is all 3 inch strips leftover from other quilts.

Here are my binding buddies!
We only purchased fabric for the binding, 
since no one had the right colour in their stash.
It is backed with wide backing flannel in dark grey.
The quilt has 36 blocks measuring 15 inches,
and all of them are joined by 1 inch strips.
Read more about the technique here.

I participated in the rainbow mini challenge at Winnipeg Modern Quilt Guild,
and I used my leftovers to make two needle books.

I've been machine quilting a surprise baby quilt,
and I'm pleased to have finished all the quilting a month before the baby is due.
I still need to trim and bind it.

This is not a finish, but a start.
My mom spray basted this quilt in Sept. 2016 
and I promised to quilt it in time for my niece's high school graduation the following June.
Well, I didn't make that deadline
but I did start quilting it yesterday.
Nobody to blame but me,
and ongoing neck issues from whiplash injuries.

I'm linking up with other Friday finishers at

5 comments:

Julierose said...

WOW your strip cabin is gorgeous--beautiful work...I love stripping on batting, muslin and papers, too. I am planning to do some more--and I do quilt as you go on each strip before adding another one...sure makes finishing easier...Congrats on a spectacular finish gals ;)))hugs, Julierose

Celtic Thistle said...

What a fabulous finish, you and your binding buddies must be thrilled to bits with your Scrappy Log Cabin quilt!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Terrific finish - congrats to all who stitched along the way. I have both of those FMQ books and like them very much. Great teachers wrote them.

Louise said...

Such a great, scrappy quilt! Congrats to your entire group on a fantastic finish :)

JustGail said...

Woot! on the finish, it certainly is scrappy, which I love. About niece's quilt, it seems like so many graduates get the huge fuss at graduation, then a couple years later if/when the doubts about their plans or the way things are going set in, little or nothing. Niece may be in need of a pick-me-up right now more than at graduation.

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>