Monday 9 January 2017

Still learning how to quilt

I'm going to be brave and show you a close-up of this quilt,
because I learned something.
Bias is tricky.
I made these blocks to get better at mitered corners.
I framed black and white squares with a striped fabric
and I had fun seeing all the variety involved.

Even though I thought I was being careful,
I still made some mistakes in sewing and pressing the bias.
Most of the blocks bow out, and they're wider in the middle
than at the corners.
That made them hard to square up
and resulted in a wonky quilt.

 So I embraced the wonkiness and quilted in wiggly lines
and used a busy print for the border.
This photo shows the variety of stripes in the fabric.
 I cut the strips on the straight of grain.

Sometimes, despite dumbhead moves,
the quilting gods smile on you.
I had just enough fabric to cut four strips for binding.
Thanks to Val for rescuing me with the 10 inches she had left 
when I ran out.

Here's another learning curve quilt.
I'm putting in organic straight lines with a walking foot
on this log cabin quilt my mother made.
Now she's a very experienced quilter and these blocks are perfectly made
and the quilt is very square.
Yet she made a mistake too.  
She didn't put in enough pins when she basted it
and so the quilt had room to bubble between pins during the quilting.
(I make her a deal: I will quilt for her if she bastes the quilts)
By the time I was half done the quilting,
one corner was noticeably off-square.

So instead of finishing the quilting this weekend,
I ripped out about a quarter of the quilting
and now I will thoroughly baste the quilt
to get it square again.

Another learning curve moment:
Be careful with the seam ripper.
I may or my not have put a small gash or two in the fabric.
Oops.

What are you learning from your quilting these days?

I'm linking up with Beth today.




3 comments:

Rebecca said...

If you will pardon the expression Bias is a Bitch pure and simple. If I have to work with very much of it I do it on paper or stabilizer (prefer stabilizer cause I can leave it in.

Barb said...

very fun and colorful quilt. Oh bias is tricky! I avoid it, ha ha.

patty a. said...

I really like your bias block quilt! Please show it when it is done! I would love to see how the binding looks. That striped fabric is perfect. Bias and I get along and I am not afraid of it at all! I believe I don't have any issues because I have a Pfaff and it has the built in walking foot so both the top and bottom layer of fabric feed at the same rate. I hope your Mom's log cabin quilt is ok and there aren't any oops! I guess the biggest mistake I have made lately was I was trying to trim something thick and didn't realize there was a pin so I put one heck of a nick in my good scissors!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>