Friday 2 September 2016

Summer stitching projects


I've finished a few sewing projects this summer.
First up: This drawstring backpack and matching zippy pouch
for my cute little cousin Audrey, who turns 3 next week.
The zipper bag is only four inches by three inches
and the backpack is definitely toddler-sized.

I used coordinating corduroy prints from baby garments I made 20 years ago.
Yup, I've kept these fabrics for two decades.
I sewed a zipper to the top of the pink pocket and then sewed twill tape on that,
and attached that to the green fabric.


My pile of hexies is growing.
I started hand sewing them in the Rockies two months ago
now I have about 50 or so.

Here are the backs.
I've used a lot of Kaffe prints, some hand dyed fabrics
and that yellow/orange white Liberty print.

Here's more of that Liberty print in this table square.
I got a Liberty of London blouse from a friend, who also passed on fabric in the linen borders.
I put that all together with a doily from the thrift shop
to make a pad for a hot tea pot

which will be covered by this tea cozy.
Star Trek quote on one side

And Liberty print on the other.
If you look closely, you can see the original Liberty tag 
on the bottom left of the tea cozy.

I used the padding from a discarded ironing board cover
for the batting, using up scraps of bits and pieces inside and out.

Earlier this summer, Sherri Lynn Wood put out a challenge to make quilts
out of found materials, and I think this one works as part of her
#makedochallenge she's currently running on Instagram and on her blog.

I'm linking up with other Friday finishers at

4 comments:

Ramona said...

Your hexies are awesome! I am a huge Kaffe fan, so was drawn right into your beauties. It is going to be one fun and colorful quilt.

Nicole said...

Star TREK not Star WARS! Love the heirs too.

Miaismine said...

Your drawstring bag and little purse are precious indeed. And I love your tea cosy set! But your HEXIES! My gosh! I love them! I'm a hexie lover and yours are absolutely gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing!

M-R Charbonneau said...

Love the story of these finishes. I would never have thought that Star Trek would connect with a tea cozy -- awesome! Great use of the doily and ironing pad batting! Thanks for linking up with TGIFF!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>