Wednesday 14 September 2016

My heart is in Tennessee but my body is in Winnipeg

I had planned for months to spend the day with Julie Sefton,
who is pictured here with my Words fail me quilt.
I met Julie through her blog
and over the years we've become friends.
Over email and the blog she helped me design this quilt
and I was thrilled to show it to her in person
at AQS Grand Rapids in 2013.

About a year later she invited me to build a barn 
as part of her Build-a-Barn book.
About a dozen of us took up that challenge,
and the smallish quilts were to be part of the book.

In the end, they didn't make the cut
but the gallery of barn quilts is on display today
at AQS Chattanooga.

Several of us signed up to take a course with Gwen Marston,
famous quilt teacher and someone who has influenced me through her books.
But Gwen had surgery and couldn't come
and I began to rethink my trip to Tennessee.
It's a long way from Winnipeg (not really, only about 22 hours by road)
but expensive to fly.

So I didn't go, choosing to save my travel money for another upcoming trip.
I'm sorry I couldn't be there today for the class, 
now taught by another teacher,
as well as missing Julie and other friends I only know through this space.
I am planning to drive to Des Moines, Iowa in early October
where the barn quilts will be hanging again.

Anyone else planning to be in Iowa then?
Let me know.


Read more about the story behind my barn, quilted by Chris Ballard.

And if you're in Chattanooga this week, send me a picture!

4 comments:

Heidi said...

So sorry, you weren't here !
Your quilt is awesome !

patty a. said...

Such a sad post. Not getting to go to Tennessee and you barn pieces not accepted. I sure hope the Iowa trip works out! Do you follow the hockey team? I got to meet Ondrej Pavelec Sunday night at the Bruce Springsteen concert. Is he ever a good looking guy! I would go to the games just to see him!

rondiquilts said...

You aren't the only bummed one. Been on my bucket list for a class with Gwen. I ended up staying home too. Will be able to see all the eye candy/winners on line.
I love reading posts about friendships made over quilting and blogs!

Rondi

Summer said...

Sorry you didn't get to go... You quilt is beautiful ♥

summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>