Friday 19 August 2016

Scored gold in Quilt Olympics



I've had a record-setting summer in giving quilts.
I gave away three large quilts and one small one in the course of a week, 
and they all now live in different Canadian provinces.
Above in the 13 inch mini quilt I posted about earlier
which decorates my friend C's new professorial office in Waterloo, Ontario.

Transplant Star,
60 by 84 inches
Machine pieced and quilted

This star quilt needed a home for a long time.
I started it last summer when I was recovering from an injury
and finally got it quilted and bound by spring.
It now lives with a college friend who had a liver transplant last spring.
When I gave it to him, he said
"You didn't need to make me a quilt."

Although I didn't make it for him,
he certainly deserves a quilt after a tough recovery.
This one lives on a Saskatchewan farm.

Balancing Act
55 by 70
machine pieced and quilted.

This one was also a long time work in progress,
which started from a bunch of scraps and sewn together parts 

After too long as a flimsy, 
I managed to get it quilted and then hand stitched the binding
on my trip west,
where my friend M. is the new proud owner.
She liked the typographic elements in it,
especially after a long career as a journalist.


The back is a numbers print from IKEA,
which I chose because it was exactly the right size for this quilt
and because it had writing on it.
An accountant friend of M's admired it for its numerical qualities.
This one is moving to Edmonton, Alberta with M. 

Floating Chevrons
55 by 65
Machine pieced by me.
Hand quilted by my friend Yvonne

I've posted this one before,
and it was the quickest out the start gate
and first to the finish line of all of these.
I pieced most of this during a retreat in January,
and then Yvonne put it in her frame for handquilting.
We showed it in two local shows
and now it lives in Toronto
with our mutual friend L.


I feel great about giving away these quilts to good homes across the country.
I know they will be used and loved.
And they've cleared out some space on my quilt rack
as well as given me the satisfaction of sharing some quilt love with friends.

That's my gold medal story.

I'm linking up with TGIFF

5 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Super! Fantastic!! Gold medal worthy indeed! All 4 are beautiful -- and clearly much appreciated.

Ariane said...

These are all beautiful quilts. I sure they are truly loved by the recipients.

Debbie at The Quilt Journal said...

All so different and lovely- so giving of you to pass them on. I usually put the date on my quilt backings, but I may change that. That way I can give them to new homes as the need arises- your brilliant ! :)

Dolores said...

What a lovely post and some wonderful quilts. I do hope you put a label on all of them so that in years to come someone looking at one of the quilts will know who made it.

Louise said...

What a great mix of colors, styles and recipients! I know how good it feels to give them away. Good job!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>