Wednesday 20 January 2016

Table talk for quilters and sewists


I'm packing up for a retreat this weekend 
and my Singer Featherweight and matching table
 is coming with me.
I wanted to protect the top during transit,
so I made a quick cover for it
from some bottom weight cotton.

It has a couple of good features --
including the long pocket with a velcro closure
for my 24 by 6 inch ruler

I sewed fitted corners
and sewed elastic around the bottom

Here it is folded up.
Originally I had thought of making a bag to carry it,
but since the table is 30 inches square,
it would be hard to carry that way.

I'm going to carry it by the edges.

And here is the front, with the long ruler safely 
inside the pocket on the right.

This table is slightly lower than those plastic folding tables 
we sew on at retreats
and the Featherweight sits right in the cutout.

If I don't have good ergonomics at a retreat,
I'm done long before it is time to go home.

This way, my machine is at a good height,
and my leg isn't super-extended.

I love quilt retreats, but I have to watch my posture
and how long I stay in one position,
or I pay for it with back and neck pain later.

3 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Amen . . . ergonomics really DO matter!

Barb said...

good thought! have fun - retreats are the best

patty a. said...

Nice job on the table cover! Have a productive fun time at your retreat!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>