Saturday 19 September 2015

Purging

It took most of the day,
but now my sewing space is transformed from
looking like a fabric bomb went off inside it
to a place where I could actually work.
My shelves may not look neat to you,
but I removed 20 years of fashion fabric scraps
and rearranged all my quilting fabric inside.
Check out those project boxes on the bottom shelves.
Now I have room for them!

I purged alot -- a package of at least 12 metres of yardage and fat quarters
going to my friend Y, who often shops at thrift shops 
and never says no to free fabrics.
I decided to pass on fabrics that are perfectly lovely
but no longer speak to me.


And my table is cleared off for the first time in months!
Lots of scraps went into the dog bed pillows,
some landed in the garbage, especially fashion fabric leftovers,
and quite a lot is headed to the thrift shop
and my quilty friends.

I couldn't moved in my space before,
and now I can.
 I even have a couple of small bins that are completely empty!

10 comments:

Mystic Quilter said...

I love what you say about fabrics which are "perfectly lovely but no longer speak to me"!
There are lots of fabrics in my stash which no longer speak to me so perhaps it's time I let them go.

Mystic Quilter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Quiltdivajulie said...

I just read quilter kathy's post where her word for today was abscission (how trees let go of their leaves) -such a parallel with we quilters shedding no longer treasured fabrics. Congrats on your purging and improved work space!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

A few years ago I got rid of all of the fashion fabrics too and it was so freeing. Space to work is SO important.

cspoonquilt said...

Oh! I know the feeling! That purging bug must be in the air or perhaps it is the change of seasons?! I know several people in that process! It feels great doesn't it?! Space IS the final frontier! enjoy!

Millie said...

Gosh, are we all psychic? I've been "purging" fabric that doesn't say much to me either! What a wonderful feeling!

Nifty Quilts said...

Yea! Congratulations. Now you're free to create more wonderful things.

patty a. said...

Good job! Purging can be hard, but now you have space! I went into my fabric storage room the other day and looked around. It is in pretty good shape, but I think I have too much stuff! It is starting to get a bit crowded in there.

Purple Boots and Pigtails said...

Right on! Proud of you for letting go!
I liberated myself from a tonne of fabric a few years back and have been trying to convince a couple of my quilty friends to do the same! I was so happy afterwards.... I'm going to show them this post!

bumblebee53 said...

This is inspiring - thank you! I love your shelves and cleared work space and cutting table! I am one who cannot say no to fabric, free or otherwise - and I have NO room to work.

Maybe rereading this post will help - just started loading a bag of scraps that don't speak to me, and some bigger pieces.

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>