Wednesday 16 July 2014

A quilter and sewer in the making

Recently I had the fun of sewing with a 10-year-old girl.
She wanted to make a bag for her bracelet-making supplies,
 and green is her favourite colour.
So we found some upholstery weight fabric, set up the Featherweight in its table
and started cutting and sewing.

I figured out the bag proportions, and M. did most of the sewing.
We did all of it on the FW except for the last seam, 
where I attached the lining to the bag on my Juki, which handled all those layers just fine.

M. spent less than three hours with me,
and by the time her parents came to pick her up,
the bag was done and we were halfway through Mary Poppins on DVD.

This is not quite Mary's carpet bag, but close.
We put in a big pocket from an old curtain
 for her plastic divided container with the rubber bands
and her two looms fit in the main compartment.
And the strap is long enough to go over her shoulder,
but not so long it drags on the ground,
even though it looks like it here.

I think it's superfragelisticexpialidocious!

I'm linking up with The Needle and Thread Network.

4 comments:

rtquilter said...

What a truly SPLENDID bag! Please pass my compliments along to the seamstress! Keep sewing! Enjoy!!

Monica said...

Another crafty woman is born! Looks like a fun day. :D

Lorette said...

How sweet that is! Congrats to her and high five to you for teaching her... well done!

Regina said...

What a lucky girl, to have somebody helping her sew such a nice bag!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>