Friday 25 June 2010

A small project or two

Not much quilting going on here, but I did manage to put together several tea cozies as end of the school year gifts. This red chenille was the easiest ever, since I made it from a 14-inch square pillow top that never got sewn into a pillow. I cut it to shape, sewing wrong sides together, bound it with checked bias and it's done.




These are the two sides of another one, using repro 30s fabric as a base, quilted in a serpentine stitch, and then embellished with vintage doilies. My local thrift shop sells small pieces like this for under a quarter, so I collect them. I quilted a spiral on the middle of the white cotton embroidered doily. This is also a two-side cozy, with a cranberry on cream Westminster print on the inside. The dark red stitching is more visible from the inside. I'm terrible at free motion quilting, but I  do OK with a walking foot and a decorative stitch.

4 comments:

heath said...

Looks like you're back from your crazy work week. These are beautiful... love the red chenille especially.

Joyce said...

Very nice. I like the idea of making them reversible.

Rosalyn Manesse said...

those tea cozies are darling! You have so many different ideas for them, also.

Sharon said...

These are great tea cozies! I think that's a wonderful use for the old linens! Beats them languishing in a drawer somewhere. And I like the reversible idea too. I should make another tea cozy...I gave mine to my DD when I gave her my old tea pot. Thanks for the inspiratation.

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>