Tuesday 29 June 2010

Little bits of this and that

This little confetti quilt was a finish a month or so ago, but I forgot to take a picture.  Lady Harvatine posted  a how-to on making this style of quilt, using white strips of various sizes to border small coloured bits and putting it all together randomly. Sort of free-piecing style. This one is machine quilted and measures 24 by 24, big enough to be a preemie quilt for the local children's hospital.

Last weekend I got lucky at neighbourhood yard sales and bought some  cotton fabric for $4.


Yes, for $4, I got two yards each (about 32 inches wide) of two different block prints, made in Ghana. The woman I bought them from said she took a batik workshop while she was living/working in Ghana, but they look more like block prints than batik. I washed them and they came out fine. I'm thinking maybe an apron or two or some placemats.
I also bought 10 linen and/or cotton novelty tea towels for $2. Most of them are new, and some have maps or advertising on them. My collection of vintage linen linens (tea towels and table cloths) is growing and I'm planning on making a summer quilt from them.


5 comments:

Pat said...

You have some interesting fabrics and items to make some really unique quilts!

Tonya Ricucci said...

cute little confetti quilt. fun assortment of textiles. I love that Poor Beasts - what a strange sentiment for a tea towel.

Joyce said...

I really like the white quilt. That's an interesting technique. The two fabrics are a great find. I never seem to find much fabric at yard sales or thrift stores...

Helen in the UK said...

The confetti quilt is just darling!! Great way to showcase some precious scraps :)

Selvage Quilter said...

I wonder what the story is on the "Poor Beasts." That's the strangest tea towel I've seen.

It reminds me of a statue in Center Harbor, NH (up the hill a little bit from Keepsake Quilting)that's dedicated to "dumb animals." That always cracks me up. Of course I'm always in a good mood from fabric shopping when I see it.

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>