Wednesday 16 June 2010

Strip piecer show and tell


Last Monday, my guild The Strip Piecers, met for the last time until fall, and we had some fun show and tell. First up, everyone brought their quilt as you go ticker tape squares (inspired by Crazy Mom Quilts) for me. Here's 22 of them. I'm going to sash it with b/w prints in that double-sided qayg method, and then this baby is done. One person forgot her  blocks and I'm probably going to make one more to have 25 for a big throw (60 by 60). The size of the  raw edged bits and pieced sewn on the blocks  varies considerably, but it has a nice overall mosaic effect.

I provided the backing fabric for the blocks, so here's a look at the back, which is made from blues, greens, and aqua prints.



Here's Bonnie with two tops from the blocks she asked us for in September. After much thought, she sashed nine in purple and the pinker ones in a bright green. They're both lovely.

Stephanie  (far right) brought this queen-sized quilt she made for her mother Karen (left) as a gift from her and her sisters. They paid for the fabric, and Stephanie made all those card trick blocks. The letters are paper-pieced, and the whole quilt is tied, and backed with flannel. Both mother and daughter are part of our guild.

Laura brought the bright green, blue and purple blocks for a quilt she's making for her teenaged daughter, inspired by the Kaffe Fassett quilt on the front cover of one of his books (Glorious Patchwork I think).

The last quilt to show  you is  a much loved crib blanket made by Audrey's grandmother 30 years ago for Audrey's first child. The squares are liquid embroidery (anyone remember that stuff) on polycotton, sashed in yellow. Audrey says the front is rippling because the flannel on the back shrank. All her children slept under this.

15 comments:

Kathy said...

I really like the ticker tape quilt. Was it a block swap?

Lee D said...

i have a baby blanket very simiar to that. must dig mine out sometime to check it out.

Joyce said...

Love the look of the Ticker Tape quilt.
My MIl did tons of liquid embroidery. We have a huge tablecloth with roses on it that she made and several pillow cases. I still see them in the MCC occasionally but I'm sure they are all dried out.

Vals Quilting said...

to have a quilt from a family member is so special, to have a quilt that all of the grand children slept under is amazingly special and it's still intact - what a treasure!
Valerie
http://www.PastimesOnline.ca/Vals-Quilting/

Vals Quilting said...

to have a quilt from a family member is so special, to have a quilt that all of the grand children slept under is amazingly special and it's still intact - what a treasure!
Valerie
http://www.PastimesOnline.ca/Vals-Quilting/

heath said...

Man, that one person sure made ridicuously small pieces. What's up with that???? ;-) I'm so jealous that you thought of getting us to do the quilting. No one ever called you a fool.

PrairiePeasant said...

I wonder what our "ticker tape" blocks say about our personalities: some are very straight and evenly spaced, others not so much. Some with white space, others not.....

Lynn E said...

Could you give me instructions on the ticker tape blocks. I think I get it just looking but I would like to be sure. I Love yours.

Edna said...

I love the ticker tape quilt blocks too! I've spent the past few evening going thru all my smallest scraps and now, I know what I'm going to do with them.

My sister made the same baby blanket for my daughter 36 years ago but in pink and with thread embroidery. She used it for her daughter as well. Thanks for showing the picture.

Kim Brackett said...

So many lovely quilts! Tthe ticker tape quilt is very cool. I like the variations in the size of the pieces. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Myra said...

The Ticker Tape quilt is looking great Brenda, as does the other sew and tell quilts! 8-)

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Great quilts, I really can't decide what one I like the best!

Purple Pam said...

Thank you for sharing all those great quilt photos. I love the embroidered quilt, but I LOVE the purple and green one at the end.

Deborah said...

I love the Ticker Tape quilt!

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

Thanks for the lovely show & tell. Your ticker tape quilt is going to be wonderful!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>