Monday 15 February 2010

Helping hands for Haiti

This is one of four blankets 12 pairs of hands helped make this afternoon on our day off of work and school. These six girls, three pairs of sisters, are holding the one we all agreed was the prettiest. It is tied with with pink crochet cotton and backed with the same green as the top. I asked for volunteers from my church to help me tie blankets for Mennonite Central Committee to send to Haiti for use as mattresses and beds. If they don't go to Haiti, they will go to other people in need.
Below they are laid out on the floor. I've supplied instructions before on how to make a blanket, but this time I took my biggest pieces of yardage, including some wool suiting, and sewed until they were at least 60 by 80 for the tops, and 65 by 85 for the backings. I took an old picnic table cloth with flannel on the back and cut holes in a six-inch grid that we used to mark the tops for tieing. The blanket on the right had two nice sides--the printed polished cotton bordered by the green, and the wool suiting, also pieced, tied with rows of pink and blue thread. Click on the photos to see the details.
Thanks to all the helping hands today. We had fun talking and eating and tieing, and we've made the lives of at least four more people just a little bit more comfortable.



Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that you blog and I get to enjoy seeing what we did. It was a fun day with all the girls. Thanks for organizing and getting us moving to do this. And let's not wait too long to do it again!

heath said...

p.s. That last comment was me! Oops.

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

LOve it! Well done ladies!!!

Joyce said...

I like the idea you have for making a grid to mark where to tie. I have never tied a quilt but when I do I'll use that method. I think the Quilters Jewel has a similar thing going on for Haiti. I plan to drop in there today to see if I can help in some way.

Michele Bilyeu said...

fabulous team work.love your givingness and such a smart way ro teach grid tying!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>