Saturday 16 January 2010

Let's comfort the afflicted

Like many of you, I've been moved by the dire situation in Haiti after that earthquake. I'm donating money to a relief organization, but I'm thinking sewers/quilters like me and you our there can do just a bit more. I try to sew several donation quilts for Mennonite Central Committee each year, and I'm hoping to make one or two before the end of the month. They distribute blankets and comforters measuring 60" by 80" to people in need. I know relief organizations are asking for money now, and please give, especially since our donations in Canada are matched by our government. But these groups are in it for the long haul, and this crisis will deplete their stocks of blankets and other relief supplies. So if you have a bit of time in the next week or two, consider making a blanket out of your stash of oldies and uglies. These are utilitarian blankets which don't have to be beautiful, but they have to be sturdy and well sewn. The links above give you more details and locations across Canada and the United States where they can be dropped off.
I'm going to give you a quick head start here:
Start looking: Go through your stash and get out several pieces of fabric, including fat quarters. You need about 3.5 yards or roughly 3 metres for the top.

For the back, take your fashion fabrics, corduroy, wool, or a big piece of sheeting that measures about 62 by 82 or sew pieces together until you get that size.   If you have  quilting cottons that measure 3.5 yards or more, cut that fabrc in half and sew the long seams together for a backing so it measures about 84 by 64.
Start cutting: For pieces a half yard or bigger, cut them 8.5 inches width of fabric. You will need 15 strips WOF.

Start sewing: For this blanket at left, I had two different blues and several coral fabrics. Some of the corals were fat quarters. I cut the corals strips in half to measure 8.5 by 20" (or whatever half of WOF is) and sewed the coral to the blue. I sewed the long blue/coral strips together, alternating the coral from left to right. 10 strips makes a top 80 by about 60.
Start layering: Layer your backing, batting and top on the floor  or on large tables, centering the top on the backing, on large tables, and tie in a square knot every four to six inches with crochet cotton or perle cotton. This is where you get the kids and husband to help.
Stitch a bit more: When the tieing is complete, take the whole thing back to your sewing machine and bind it by bringing back to front and stitching it down securely. The goal here is a well-constructed blanket that can be used for shelter and warmth. Mary Johnson has some good instructions for tieing a quilt and materials to use for batting and backing here.
Let me know if you need more help with this process, but I know it wouldn't be a big time commitment for most of you. I've cut and sewed a strippy top like that in less than an hour, and with three or four people, can tie it in another hour. Give yourself another hour for finishing it and sweeping up the scraps and you've kept someone in need warm for another night with three hours of your time and materials you already have at home. Happy blanket making!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very Good idea Brenda...I may get started soon on one. I like the way you had the stripes for the rows and cutting them 8.5 wide. I do the flip and sew method. Really good idea.

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Making blankets is a good thought. And perhaps quilts can be sold or raffled to raise funds for the folks in Haiti. Maybe someday we can send some quilts to some of the orphans. There will be a lot of orphans.

Joyce said...

Thanks for the tutorial. Do you know how fussy they are about exact sizes? I have lots of quilts kicking around but maybe not that exact size.

Myra said...

Great post Brenda! I'll see what I can do, and spread the word! Thanks!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>