Thursday 14 May 2009

Lunch time hexagons

I spent my lunch hour in my sewing room (which is the opposite end of my home office) and sewed some hexagons together from the pattern Hexagon Magic, kindly shared by Peg. It's an easy machine piecing method using half hexagons cut from 2 3/4 inch strips. I've been digging through the box of scraps from my mom (see two posts down) and cut strips for this project from this big pile of oldies and some uglies. Definitely a tribute to the 80s! I've admired other people's hexagon quilts, but the thought of all the English paper piecing and whip-stitching tiny hexagons makes me faint. I know, I know there are hexagon addicts out there, but not me, right now. (I'd rather play with 3/4 inch strips and make fiddly letters!). I only have about half of the 400 half hexagons I need, and this is turning out slightly wonky (yes, I see that blue hexagon with half turned to the wrong side, but I'm not going to unpick it), but I like how its turning out. I'm aiming for a child's blanket or a small throw, bordered by other scraps or maybe some unbleached muslin. right now it's about 40 inches long and 15 inches wide. These are big hexagons, after all.

5 comments:

PrairiePeasant said...

Hexagons are also one of those patterns I've never considered making--until this weekend. I saw 2 quilts at a show that were done with machine piecing, and although the corners can probably drive you crazy, they were inspiring.... Nice work on your strip variation! ...and I think the reverse fabric adds charm--K. Fassett does that deliberately in some of his quilts!

Donna said...

seems like a great way of making hexagons... Like you all English paper peicing just doesn't call to me right now...

jovaliquilts said...

I love hexagons, but I have only pieced them with triangle star points to join them -- not row after row of hexagon. Your shortcut might win!

Rosalyn Manesse said...

What a great idea! I'd hesitate to put hexigons together, but this method looks much easier. and a good way to use up scraps.

Karen said...

Great hexagons.

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>