Saturday 16 May 2009

New hexagons, old fabric

My magic hexagon project has grown, and I'm getting the hang of it. I'm doing this completely scrappy, choosing colours as I go and trying to distribute the lights and darks and colours. I'm hoping to get this a bit wider and then I'm going to put on light borders with hexagons floating in them.

What I've been busy with this week is cutting that box of scraps from my mother into usable bits. Here's a "jelly roll" of 2.5 inch strips for a strippy charity quilt and another set of 3.5 inch strips for another charity quilt. There's quite the variety of 80s stuff in here.

This one has a retro/contemporary feel to it. It's a patchwork paisley Cranston-VIP print with a small selvage, and it has to be at least 30 years old, but it's not that different from what's out there now. The biggest difference is in the quality -- quilting cottons are certainly heavier and have a nicer hand now.

5 comments:

Janet said...

I like the "instant" technique. Most people are put off by the English piecing or point to point sewing. Your mother's fabric looks like my mother's time period. Possibly the same generation?

Cher said...

hexagons look great- terrific to get so much cutting done.

Tonya Ricucci said...

such a hoot to see the 80's fabric. I totally have that big leaf print in green. and in pink and blue and purple...

Bebesboutique said...

I had to laugh as I have some of those same prints. The retro piece in paislys. I have a bag of my mom's scraps and squares of those I am gradually useing.

Purple Pam said...

I like your hexagon quilt. I have one hand pieced, but not quilted. I have been looking for the right quilting template to fit inside the hexagons. You are much more dedicated at finishing things than I am. Go girl!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>