Wednesday 18 March 2009

Spreading the gospel of letters



At my guild meeting on Monday at my house, I showed everyone how to make letters, both wonky and strip-pieced. Here's a picture of me with my pink cutting board (only $10 at Fabricland, which is waaay cheaper than a green one). What was fun was how the light bulb went on. After demonstrating the easy letters (c, u, o, a, e, p, d, b, g), someone wanted to make a Y. After I cut a piece of white background material two ways to insert a Y, someone said "Now I get it." So at least seven more folks are now into making letters.
The other fun thing was the fruity women fabric I bought from the sale table at Fabricland for $4/metre. Everyone loved it and some took little bits home, but several women wanted yardage. So I headed to Fabricland yesterday to see if there might be a bit more for myself and my friend Laura and I found one of my guild friends in the bargain section, holding the bolt of fruity women fabric (she called it beach bums, which is also appropriate.) She bought a metre, I bought two, and as we're at the cutting table, the clerk says another woman had bought that same fabric that morning (also a guild member.) The bonus was that it had been reduced to $2.50/metre.
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Joyce said...

I'm glad to see you spreading the word about wonky words. I wonder if there is any of that fabric out here in Winkler at Fabricland? I'll have to go and have a look.

Rosalyn Manesse said...

I wish that I could have been there. I'm working on a Peace banner at the moment.

Tonya Ricucci said...

wheee, looks like you guys are having so much fun. wish I could be there too. has anyone sewn some of the letters? wow $2.50 a meter for your fun fabric - woohoo.

PrairiePeasant said...

I'll have to block off some time soon to try those letters! Thanks for sharing with us!

Brenda said...

I have seen that fabric done up as a very sunny table runner!! Way to much fun!! And at that price, you wouldn't have been wrong to buy the rest of the bolt!!
Wow that is a great price!!
And I love that more people are going to be doing letters - it is such a neat thing to see!!!

Anonymous said...

Brenda, I am one of those bloggers who only lurks. But I'm also in Winnipeg. Which fabricland did you find the fabric in. Please reply to lindap@mts.net

Purple Pam said...

You look like you are having a great time teaching your letters. I am sure everyone enjoyed your workshop.

Cher said...

lovely to see the making of letters taught to others-oh, I wish I could find some of that fabric too! your cards you made with them are so fun!

eva said...

i hope you will still get this comment - your post was a couple of years ago..... they never out-date, really.

i'm curious about the blue block?? that you have by your machine. what is it (i know what it's for) what is it made with...

i need ideas to use with my (1st bought) kenmore... i still use it for zig-zag....since our amazing juki's don't do zig-zag..

xo
eva
bc

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>