Monday 23 March 2009

Spinning out of control or fading away

Here are two little quilts I finished for the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative from the hand dyed pastels my mom gave me a few weeks ago. (Click on the photo to enlarge.)

The one on the left is called "Spinning out of Control" and the one at the right is "Fading Away." I've been studying spirituality and aging for one of my MA classes (yes, I'm supposed to be writing term papers now!) and from what I understand about Alzheimer's, some people just sort of fade away, while others feel their life is totally off the tracks.

Both quilts measure under 9 by 12 inches, and they're hand quilted. I cut 1.5 inch strips off some of the pastels and strip-pieced them together, and made the Chinese coins and then the whirly gig one. Fun little projects, and if you've never tried one, really fast too. Click on the button on the sidebar to the right to see the guidelines for making the quilts and how to register and send them off.

6 comments:

Rosalyn Manesse said...

What lovely colors. these quilts have a very calming aspect.

Joyce said...

Very nice. I don't use many pastels but once in awhile they are very restful to work with.

Tonya Ricucci said...

very soft and lovely. hope things are going well with the papers. happy writing!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

How lovely and appropriately named. You are so kind to do this.

AmiSimms said...

What great little quilts! I look forward to receiving them on behalf of the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative.

Many thanks,
Ami Simms

Quiltdivajulie said...

Way to go, Brenda ~ nicely done!!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>