Saturday 28 March 2009

Super nova and more

I made two more priority quilts from hand dyed pastels for the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative this week. I keep using bits of one for the next one. This one I'm calling Super Nova. It's a wonky star that's fading away. The middle is made from leftovers from the two I made last week. This one is mostly outline quilted with a aqua blue thread.
Then I took all the bits I cut off to make the star and sewed a string quilt, using a few light green strips to unify it. I handquilted it with freehand fans. I haven't figured out a name for it yet -- maybe something like Fractured memories.
I've just returned from my closing reception for my quilt display in a college library. I brought the AAQI quilts, as well as Ecumenical Squares, below, the quilt that's on my bed.


And the librarian loves my Advice from Home, which is still a flimsy, but we hung it up for the afternoon anyway.

I've got all my quilts back and I'm happy to see them at home again. Next project: quilting my Words Fail Me top.

8 comments:

Loris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Loris said...

That must have been an awesome quilt showing. I love the 'Advice' quilt too.
I'm glad they made it home safe.

Clare said...

I love the pastels. Are you going to make a quilt for yourself from the same fabrics?

Joyce said...

I'm sorry we weren't able to make it to your show. We couldn't even get out of the yard for most of the week. Great use of the pastel scraps.

Cher said...

fun to see the leftovers become quilts and then those leftovers also get used. great quilts

Brenda said...

I love coming here to see what you have done. I really like the blks you have made for the alzheimer's projects, they just are so...... true to their meaning.

And I am considering doing a word hanging..... you are an insperation!! And I would have loved to have seen your quilts when they were in the library!! Loved that! But I am glad they are home again.

Rosalyn Manesse said...

What a good idea, using the cut-aways. I like the star very much, as I'm so inclined to use bright colors.

Tonya Ricucci said...

love the two little quilts - the hand quilting really makes them sing. so glad the reception was a success, but too bad there was too much snow. What a relief to have the quilts safely home.

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>