Saturday 14 March 2009

Happy Pi day!

I celebrated Pi day at my house by sewing a couple of 12 inch blocks for the Friday Block party and having some friends over for three kinds of pie: tourtiere, spinach and feta quiche, and pumpkin pie for dessert. (I live with math geeks and they wanted to celebrated 3/14 or 3.14, the ratio number between the diameter and the circumference of a circle. I'm sure there's other math geeks who can explain it better than me.) The chimney and cornerstones block below is using greens and blue with a bright white on white (it's actually a Christmas print, but hey, who cares?).
This one is the fifth or sixth one I've made using that light marbled fabric as the background. This is a bit too muted for my taste, but instead of cutting up yardage for all those 2 inch squares, I went for ones I already had, and they were this light marbled pink. The block party is about improving precision piecing skills, but for me, it's also about pushing my colour preferences and trying out combinations I might not use for a whole quilt.

Here they are side by side. Because I was using scraps and precut squares for the left one, I pieced the centre block.

Happy Pi/Pie day. Any day with three kinds of pie is a good day, I figure.

11 comments:

Donna said...

what different effects depending on the colours....

Tonya Ricucci said...

fun blocks. Pi day sounds wonderful too. I had to google tortiere - yummy.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Nice blocks - especially the blue.

Anonymous said...

Pi day. I would never have gotten it until it was explained. Obviously I'm not a math geek. What a cool idea! And your blocks remind me of ice cream.

PrairiePeasant said...

Did you hear Pi recited to 100 digits recently? Amazing. Having pie for Pi day sounds great! The blocks look great and I really like that dark blue marbled fabric for the corner squares.

Cher said...

love the math geeks holiday-what fun!
glad you are having quilting breaks as well as working on your term papers!

Joyce said...

Pi day is a great idea. We'll have to do it next year with the Math Geeks in our family, and there are several of them!

Judy H. said...

So, I imagine the Math Geeks in the family are really looking forward to Pi day in 2015?

Beautiful blocks. :)

Karen said...

Great blocks!

em's scrapbag said...

Any day with pie period is a good day. I love your blue, green and white block. I think it is my favorite for this weeks block party.

Brenda said...

I could see the pink one as a whole quilt top - I think it's very pretty!! soft, romantic (and that is not me, so, I must really like it!!)
I like that you are pushing your bounderies in your colour choices!! Your choices are fine, from what I can see!!
this is a fun way to get the pieces and colour combinations skills up!!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>