Monday 9 March 2009

Lucky me!

I love collaborative quilting. Thanks to everyone who weighed in about what to do with my four patches. I went with option #1, and started sewing blocks together, alternating the hourglass with the little four-patches. This is 30 blocks, measuring 15 by 18, and I have lots more to sew. Since this is a scrappy quilt, I decided to make some of the hourglass patches scrappy as well -- see the top row. After I took this picture, I saw the hourglass on the left that needs a 90 degree twist.Other than that, I'm quite liking this arrangement. Stay tuned.
I was rummaging (ah....looking) through mom's stash during a visit yesterday and I came up with this little picture of collaborative quilting in blue and white. She paid 49 cents for it, and I thought I would collaborate with her by taking it home to live with my fabrics for a bit.
Here's another reason I'm lucky. Look what Tonya sent me from her great collection of fabrics! Lots of strips from a jellyroll, and some charm squares and some 10 inch square and some fun scraps. Thanks so much! I'm going to have fun with these.
My mother added to my luck with these black and white half yard cuts (she was in Arizona recently, so she bought American measurements). Isn't that sewing/dressmaking/fashion one a hoot! Thanks, Mom!
And there's more. When I was nicely asking for a few hand dyed fabrics (she's also a hand dyer, and very generous, lucky me again) to match the blocks I'm making for the Friday block party, she offered me this stack of pastel hand dyes. Of course, I had to be polite and say yes. Yes!
And then I made her happy by taking some fabric from the "ugly"bin underneath the worktable. I'm looking for stuff that will match the four-patch quilt made from older fabrics, as well as stuff I can cut up for the scrap bin. That green/white/red print second from the left was one I bought 15 or so years ago and made us each a camp shirt. I'm going to make bags from it, put some in the ever-growing I Spy collection, and use the rest of it inside tea cozies.
I should have taken a picture of the lovely applique quilt my mother is making, but I forgot my camera at home. Next time. Thanks again.

4 comments:

Joyce said...

Lucky you having a quilting mother. How great is that, shopping in someone's stash!

Tonya Ricucci said...

glad you liked the fabric. ooh, pretty hand dyes from your mom. yes, definitely take the camera - would love to see some of her work. that Project Runway fabric is fun. and the uglies definitely live up to their name...

Karen said...

Love the blue and white picture.

Anonymous said...

Hi Brenda! I really like the hourglass/four patch combination...the squares really jump out. Even though it's scrappy, the colours fit together... I'm wondering if you were doing two darker with two lighter squares for the four patch, or was it mostly random? If you were quilting this by hand...what would you quilt? And finally are the hourglasses too hard for a beginner like me?

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>