Sunday 1 March 2009

Little projects finished

I've had a couple of weeks of finishing a few things, interspersed with periods of no sewing. I've finally completed a tea cosy and table runner set that is part of an upcoming silent auction for my sons' school. I used 2 inch strips of b/w fabrics with squares and rectangles of bright prints. The runner finishes at 16 by 64 (from point to point) and has a black solid backing that I brought to the front for the binding. My friend Val machine quilted it in a swirly pattern -- thanks very much! (My old Elna is wonderful except I can't drop the feed dogs and even with covering them I can't seem to get the hang of machine quilting.)
Here's my latest square for the Friday Block Party. This was easier than many, since it only had the HSTs to worry about. My precision piecing is getting better. A friend commented that these precision blocks aren't my usual style -- that's what makes them interesting. I can manage one a week, and I'm getting better with HSTs and the quarter inch thing. That can only be good, even if I prefer wonkiness and free-piecing and scrappy. I'm building skills and following rules for an hour a week, and the rest of the time, I'm doing what I want.
Like these wonky stars, made from leftover triangles from my friend Andrea. I was helping her manage her scraps and she didn't want these. There were exactly 16, just enough to make two wonky stars for the Australian Bushfire quilt project (see sidebar.) I pieced the centres from leftovers after we cut most of Andrea's leftover 2.5 inch strips into 4.5 inch bricks for a scrappy Chinese Coin quilt.

Here's four more in brights. The print in the bottom left star is 60 inches wide. I bought about 90 inches of it so I can back a single quilt with it (it was $5/metre) and I cut off five inches to use in these stars.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know I find that I have more control when I machine quilt with the feed dogs up on my machine. I use a darning/stipple foot. My mother took a course on machine quilting and her instructor told them to leave the feed dogs up.

Donna said...

Like you, precision pieceing all the time would not suit, but I do enjoy getting better at the skill for the times I do want to use it! :-)

I machine quilt with my feed dogs up, stitch length at 0... found covering them a pain with little or no gain.

Joyce said...

I really like the wonky stars. I'm with you on precision. I can do it but prefer the wonky stuff.

Tonya Ricucci said...

fun stuff, but of course my favoritest are the stars in brights - gorgeous.

jovaliquilts said...

Love your wonky stars! Really love the way you put the fabrics together.

Rosalyn Manesse said...

I vote for the tea cozy set! absolutely a work of art

Fiber Babble said...

Love the black & white set. There's just enough color to make it interesting, but not so much it looks like a clown set the table. ;-)

Wendy said...

The black and white set is terrific! And I love seeing all the wonky stars showing up in blogs - yours are great. Thanks for sharing.

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>