Monday 9 February 2009

Happy Blogiversary to me

Today marks a year of blogging for me. I'm celebrating by showing you two recently finished projects that I couldn't have done without all the rest of you in blogland. First up is my newspaper quilt called Baskets of News, measuring 34 by 38.

This one was inspired by Sara whose guild made two wacky basket quilts inspired by Gwen Marston last year and she shared the method with us online. I pulled out my reds, whites, and blacks, and started making baskets without a plan. By the time I had 16, I started on the letters inspired of course by Tonya. I used a piano key boarder I've seen on various other blogs, and this little quilt, inspired and influenced by many of you, came together. It's also a tribute to my work in newspapers and the old joke: What's black and white and read all over? If you click on the photo, you can spot several newspaper fabrics in it.

My next quilt is also a collaborative, online effort. I started making the words "It's a different thing altogether " (Tonya again) and put together some stars. I posted about the process, got comments, and reworked it several times. I've hand quilted and bound it. The background is made entirely of two inch squares (you know how fond I am of those!) in neutrals. I made 9 patches and friendship stars and one wonky row at the bottom as a nod to my liberated quilting influences.

I've quilted in some friendship stars over the quilt, and I'm using high contrast thread. I haven't mastered machine quilting yet, but I'm not a bad hand quilter, and if I'm going to all that effort, I want my stitches to show, darn it.

Here's some more shots of the background. And below is the whole thing:

The border is yet another one from a batik I bought last spring. I've used the various stripes in several quilts, and I'm really liking this one. This finishes at 44 by 28 and is a gift for the songwriter who penned the lyric.
Thanks for sharing my blogiversary with me. I appreciate the comments, suggestions and critiques. That's what makes blogging so much fun that I'm going to keep going for another year.

16 comments:

Sara said...

Brenda, I have read a lot of bloggers comments about what they have learned from other quilter's blogs, but this is the only time I saw my own name! I am so glad that you found the "liberated" basket how-to helpful. It will be fun to share your quilt pic with my Bee, who are the ones who made two quilts using it.

Congrats on your Blogiversary. I get ideas from you too!

Valerie said...

Oooh, how fun! I love the 2nd one... Something about the neutral background and the splashes of color really set the words off. It's so simple but so dynamic when it's all put together. Beautiful work.

Myra said...

Happy blogiversary to you! Great finishes, and bags in your past post!
Happy stitchings! 8-)

Quiltdivajulie said...

I love visiting your blog to see what you are doing ~ and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Basket of News!!

Enjoyed seeing your selvage basket featured on Karen's blog... I've been considering the "without foundation" so I'm glad to see you have already gone there!

Yes, we all learn from and are inspired by others!!

Joyce said...

Happy Blogaversary! You are not the only one inspired by other bloggers. I really like both of those quilts.

Vicki W said...

Congratulations on your blogiversary! I love both ofyour quilts.

Sharon said...

Happy Blogiversary! I didn't realize that you'd only been blogging one year, AND that we both started blogging in the same month!

I too have learned so much from other bloggers - it's been so much fun. I'm glad you'll continue blogging too.

Love both of your quilts! But my fave is the baskets. I just love baskets and that color combo. It's great!

Lynn E said...

I love your quilts. The colors work and if they need a home I have a space that needs a little Black and White and Read all over

Sara said...

I love the black, white and read all over!
Hoever, I am totally in love with 'it's a different thing altogether'.
they are both fantastic!
Congrats on hitting 100 posts!
Well done!
I've yet to try free piecing and letters - but I want to just have to take the plunge.
Sara

Purple Pam said...

Happy Blogaversary! I have been reading your blog from day one and it is great! Glad you are boggin' on. Both your quilts are super, but I am partial to the basket quilt. I love those funky baskets.

Magpie Sue said...

Just want to say "Happy Blogaverserary!" Love your wonky work :- )

Wendy said...

Happy Blogaversary! Your baskets and words are wonderful!! You are right, being inspired by other quilters is really terrific.

Tonya Ricucci said...

I am so happy you started blogging - your quilts bring me joy. these two are fabulous.

Karen said...

Happy Blogiversary! I just love your Basket of News.

jovaliquilts said...

Congrats on a year of blogging! Isn't the blogging community wonderful? I've learned so much from my fellow quilters! Such a neat quilt, too.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>