Tuesday 6 January 2009

still stitching full steam ahead

This is my first finish of 2009 -- a mini measuring 9 by 10.5 for a swap with Tracy over at From my Scrapbag, who is ambitiously making 50 minis this year. The last time I checked, she was up to 20.



Here's a 12.5 (unfinished size) basket block I made from the scrap and string bins for Mennonite Central Committee. Quilters are asked to submit basket blocks to be sewn together for large quilts for auction, to raise money for the relief organization. Check out the details here.

Yesterday, I decided to work more from the crumb and string bins, so I made about 24 6 inch crumb blocks. I got a 6 inch square ruler for my birthday, so it was easy just to cut around it. I need to get some bigger sizes, but the 12 inch one looks so huge and is sort of pricey. I should have bought one when Fabricland had their 50 % sales last weekend, but bought 9 metres of $4 fabric instead (it just seemed more fun.) Would I use it enough? What about a 9 inch? Any opinions?

10 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

The basket block is great -- I love shapes cut from fabric that's been pieced. As for rulers, I confess to having squares of several sizes, and I use them all. I usually get x and a half inches (6-1/2, 2-1/2, etc.) because I often work with blocks that finish to round numbers. I had to order a 10.5" square because my quilt store didn't carry those, but I do charity string quilts with blocks that I need to trim to that size. It has saved me oodles of time!

Fiber Babble said...

I use my 12 1/2" square frequently. Even if I need to square up a 10 1/2 or 9 1/2" block, those measurements are there (of course!) and it only takes one more step to use the larger ruler.

I do use a 6 1/2" square for my smaller blocks because the 12 1/2" gets a bit unwieldy.

The large 'ruler' also comes in handy when moving small pieces from place to place - just like a serving tray!

Mary Johnson said...

the basket and the mini look great! I have both the 9.5 and 8.5 square rulers and like both of them. The 9 inch is nice for Heartstrings blocks but if you like a smaller block I'd go with the 8.

PrairiePeasant said...

I love the basket. That's very inspiring--I'd like to do at least one for that project. My square rulers are 4", 9.5" and 13". Could use one in between 4 & 9.

Joyce said...

I have a big square ruler, I think 14 inches and use it a lot, esp squaring the corners of quilts before adding the borders. Yards of fabric is a LOT more fun though.

Donna said...

love your basket! Very very cute.

I have a 6" and a 15" square ruler... love both. never really thought about 12 or 12.5" as the 15 lets me do that and larger bits too :-) It is big, but not awkward. Probably use my 24X6" the most, but all three are fairly indispensible. Don't own others, so these serve all the purposes.... I would buy fabric before another ruler Too!

Purple Pam said...

I have several square rulers. I think I use my 6.5 the most, and then my 9.5. I buy them when there is a half price sale, or I have a coupon for 40% off. I use all my square rulers, but the bigger ones, not as much.

I like your basket block, and your crumb blocks. When I get started making those, I get addidcted!

Magpie Sue said...

I love your basket block! Very cute!

I use a 6" square and a 12.5" square in addition to my rectangular rulers. I've used my 12.5" square so much it really needs to be replaced; I've nicked the corner more than once.

Karen said...

Wonderful mini and the basket is so cute.

Andrea, the little collector said...

Wow! What a beautiful mini! I love the contrast of the tumbling/tipping stacked blocks and the strong pillars on the sides. Color combo is striking!

Congrats!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>