Sunday 4 January 2009

A scrappy, satisfying day

I got up early Saturday to sew, and now I've got 60 some blocks in this Scott's Plaid design (finishing at 6 inches) using my pre-cut squares and bricks. After some fussing, I settled on a bit of a design -- light centre square, green 2 inch squares, and outer strips in pink/orange/rust and black. I had to cut the longer strips on the outside, but all the rest was from a bin of precut strips (I'm going to put another plug in for Bonnie's Scrap User system. It really works!) I've powered through lots of strips already, but every time I'm working on a new project, I cut my leftovers into more strips, so they'll never end. I also used some blacks from the scraps Belinda sent me in the scrap swap. At first I thought this was going to turn into a fungly, but I'm liking even this random arrangement. I'm hoping to get to a throw size, or maybe 60 by 80 for a donation quilt.

I promised to make a tea cosy for a friend, and while I had the b/w scraps out, I made two. The top left goes with the bottom right, and vice versa. Belinda will also see some familiar scraps in these, and the lime green strips she included provided the right accent.



I was digging through my mother's giveaway pile over the holidays, and scored three of these printed panels to make books, aprons, and a basket. I used some of it for the lining of the cosies, and more for the light squares in the Scott's Plaid squares. It's good quality fabric, and its hard to imagine the manufacturers meant for it to be thrown away. Since I collect word fabric, I figured I could use this somehow, and the printed parts will be cut into bricks and squares.


9 comments:

Donna said...

the lime green accent with the B&W is wonderufl! so very fun and unexpected :-)

Karen said...

The scrappy quilt it looking good and love the tea cosy.

Joyce said...

Scrappy is looking good! Love the tea cozy. I made one for a friend's birthday last fall. I need to make myself one now.

PrairiePeasant said...

Nice work Brenda! I like the stitched "tea" on the upper right. The green adds just the right touch.

jovaliquilts said...

Really fun! I can see how having precut scraps really lets you play with designs. Your tea cozies are just great!

Sharon said...

I'm liking that Scot's Plaid scrappy! What a great way to use up some of your fabrics. Love Bonnie's Scrap User System!

Your tea cosies are cute! I like the black and whites, the touch of green, the wonky "Tea" and even your quilting!

Looks like you've gotten the year off to a rousing start!

Tonya Ricucci said...

whee, so much going on over here. the quilt is coming along great, the tea cosy is so much fun and I love how you're using the printed instructions.

Unknown said...

I love your scrappy quilt. Very colourful and effective. Also enjoyed very much reading about the system. Thanks

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Oh, I'm so jealous! The quilt and the tea cosies are so charming.

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>