Tuesday 25 November 2008

It's a different arrangement again

I decided not to use either star in the little word quilt on my wall. So now I have the beginnings of a wonky star quilt in black, red and neutral, or maybe another priority hope quilt. For now, they're going into the parts drawer. Below is the final arrangement of "A different thing". It's different than my other arrangements. I made more friendship star blocks, this time with red points, and more nine patches, and threw in a few more red squares.
The red borders are on, but not the black ones. I'm sort of debating cutting off the right side so the words are more centred, or unpicking the "altogether" row and moving it to the right, but then again, the forces of inertia say no. Actually, I did unpick it after looking it this way for a couple of hours. I have a sharp, new seam ripper and I got it apart and back together in about 45 minutes. It looks much better. Right now is 36 inches wide and about 24 high without the black. I had intended to make this mostly about the words, but I decided halfway through I wanted more variety in the background, so I started sewing two inch squares together in various neutrals to make stars and nine patches. This probably won't be much fun to hand quilt because of all the seam allowances, but I'll take the needle to it anyway. If you look carefully, you can see the bottom row patches are wonky, mostly because the letters were a different height.
For those of you who are Steve Bell fans, you'll recognize the lyric.


3 comments:

Tonya Ricucci said...

love it - you did a fantastic job. glad you're going to hand quilt this one!

Joyce said...

I really like the final arrangement. It's always amazing how quick things can be taken apart once we decide to do it. I have spent hours dreading ripping out, only to find it actually takes only a short time. It's always worth it in the end.

Andrea, the little collector said...

I like seeing how this came together! Wow! I agree...the move to the right was a good one. Those touches of red really add something to it too!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>