Friday 5 September 2008

Flimsy baskets of news

So I've ignored my housework, paying work, and preparation for a weekend yard sale and sewed instead. Lots of dust bunnies living in my house, but I don't care. I put a piano key border around the baskets, and I'm thinking of using the checked bias on top of it in a serpentine design. I've pinned a piece to the bottom right to see if I like it. Originally I had put the symbol + between the words so it read "Black + white + read all over" but I took them out an I'm going to use the bias tape to make the symbol instead. I'm pleased with how this turned out -- it's going on the hand quilting pile, and I'm going to have some fun in the basket blocks.
The inspiration was for this quilt was Tonya with her letters and Marston and Moran's Collaborative Quilting for the baskets and the red. (and the fact that I have only about 50 different red fabrics collected when I was in a red phase. another story for another time.)
Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

Joyce said...

I love it and the checked bias looks very good. Freddy and Gwen would be proud of you!

PrairiePeasant said...

This has turned out very lovely. The words are nicely balanced.
-Laura

em's scrapbag said...

I like the baskets. What a fun quilt.

Donna said...

those reds really tie the whole quilt together so very well -- a fun quilt that brings a smile to my face.

Magpie Sue said...

It's getting better and better all the time! Does that bias check show up more in person than it does in the photo?

Clare said...

This has got to be one of my all time favourites. It's marvellous. I love your words too. Must start getting back to basics and stop mucking around with bits. The sewing corner looks like a quilter's garage!

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Wow, am I jealous

Cher said...

this is a wonderful quilt..it looks so great...look forward to seeing how you quilt it!

Andrea said...

This is just fun! I really love it! It is cool to see all the ways you are using words in your quilts! Cool! Cool!

Anonymous said...

This quilt looks so fun and yet has a smart/sassy attitude. I love it! Great fabrics and I am in a basket love mood lately. Just found your blog and I am really enjoying it.

jmb_craftypickle said...

Great quilt!!! Wonderful color placement and style!!!LOVE IT!

Mary Johnson said...

I really love the baskets - I've been wanting to make a basket quilt almost as long as I've been quilting and after buying Gwen Marston's Liberated Strings book, I knew that it would be a liberated version.

Lynda said...

So clever, and yet so gorgeous!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>