Tuesday 7 January 2020

Not quite a quilt, but more than a blanket

I'm in the process of putting together three comforters measuring about 60 by 80 inches
to donate to Mennonite Central Committee this month.
This relief and development organization hopes to collect 6,500 comforters in January
as part of their centennial celebrations.
The comforters get baled and shipped to disaster zones or to refugee camps.

For this one, I used up a bag of samples given to me by a friend of a friend,
and added a few fabrics to get it to size.
I machine quilted  along the vertical seams with my walking foot
and hand tied knots every six inches in the middle of the columns.
I have two more tops to sandwich and quilt.
The biggest difference between these comforters and the quilts I usually make 
are the ties and the way I edge the quilt.
Instead of a double fold binding, I cut the backing 1.5 inches bigger than the quilt
and bring it to the front (folded over) and machine stitch it down.
You can see this in the photo below.

For those of you who follow me on Instagram (@brendasuderman), you may have seen my new deck and railing.
We replaced the deck and the sidewalks last fall,
and I've discovered my new metal railings are also great for hanging quilts.
I use the one-inch alligator clips to fasten the quilts on the rails.

5 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Lovely finish - great photo spot.

Albert William said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ابتكار المثالية said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ابتكار المثالية said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sharon said...

Love your photo spot! And a great comfort quilt.

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>