Friday 30 November 2018

Making Christmas Trees

Inspired by a tutorial by Jenny Doan of Missouri Star Quilt Company,
I put together a Christmas tree quilt from scrappy HSTs.
These finish at 2 inches. Hers are much bigger.
I run my small scraps through the die cutter and store the shapes in small tins.
Then whenever I need a little project, or some parts I've got them.
This is now pieced and quilted,
and I'll show you the finished product once I have the binding sewn on.

I saw another tutorial for easy cathedral windows.
You know the kind -- where you place a square folded diagonally on another square,
sew the seams, and then curve back the diagonal.
It seems like a good technique, but there are six layers in those middle seams.
I used over dyed white on white fabrics for the trees,
and linen for the background, and put in lots of quilting stitches.
It is quite stiff, which is perfect for a wall hanging.

I helped set up a craft and bake sale last weekend,
and nearly took these folks home with me.
The other volunteers debated with me on the price.
I said $100, but I think they settled on $60.
Too cheap when you consider the amount of work in this.
All the pieces were beautifully knit and finished, and the faces were great.
And it is very tactile.
I debated buying it myself, but the organizer didn't want to pre-sell it,
so I consoled myself with posting pix on social media.

I put together 10 trays of 36 assorted cookies for the same sale.
Two guys in my house donated some, and a bunch of others from my church did too,
so we had 30 dozen cookies to mix and match.
I know bake sales are old school, but these trays sold for $25 each.


And a close up of a progress shot of the tree quilt.
If you're on Instagram, check out my 
#12daysofchristmastreequilts on my account @brendasuderman.

I'm linking up with Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict


7 comments:

Julierose said...

Just lovely trees-and i think the quilting around the CW little tree is beautiful nice job hugs, Julierose

Run 'n Stitch said...

What great little trees. Thank you for the links.

Louise said...

Your cathedral tree is so cool! And I can see why you were tempted by the knit creche; it's lovely. I hope it ended up with a young family so the kids can carefully squeeze the figures every season :)

Ramona said...

Your trees are so cute! Your quilting really makes them stand out, too. The cookies look scrumptious! :)

Quiltdivajulie said...

Thanks for sharing the links - I actually like the pinwheel tree version better than the chevrons. Tucking this one away for "someday." (and I plan to make mine smaller like you did - don't need a HUGE tree quilt)

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Lovely trees and fun stitching. The knitted nativity set is special.

Marie said...

As someone who does baking for the annual Christmas bazaar at our church (the Holly Bazaar) I am in awe of your $25 cookie platters. Good for you - worth every penny, even if it is old school. Love the HST tree too!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>