Friday 2 November 2018

I didn't believe it could happen, but the scrap bin is empty!


I've witnessed a minor miracle: my bin of dark strings is empty!
For the last four weeks, I've been working on this rectangular string quilt.
My guidelines were: 1.5 inch neutral strip on the diagonal,
bright strings on one side, and black prints on the other.
I had lots of strings and small scraps,
and I even cut a few strips off of yardage at the end for variety.
Check out my process at the String Thing Along Blog.

Here's a closer look.
I made 15 of these diamonds, 60 blocks in total.
It measured 60 inches wide and 54 inches high,
and the piano key borders brought it up to about 65 inches long.
Many of the bright scraps and strings
(see what I did there?)
came from cutting 2.5 inch strips for these mini-trip around the world blocks.
My guild is making blocks in brights and whites
for a charity quilt or two.
Three of us made these 36 blocks last month.
And yes, I know there's a block laid out wrong.
We haven't sewn any blocks together yet.

So I'm proof it can happen. We can run out of scraps.
But I'm not worried. I can always make more!


7 comments:

Nicole said...

Your quilt is beautiful! I love scrappy quilts that have a specific design strategy. Well done on using what you had!

Quiltdivajulie said...

The quilt top is GORGEOUS -- and I know your bin won't stay empty for long (giggle).

Barb said...

great scrap quilts! time to make more.
I've always wanted to make a scrappy TATW quilt. Yours is great.

Louise said...

I love, love, love this quilt and have decided to make one myself for next year's Rainbow Scrap Challenge. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

Mary-Kay said...

I just love your scrap quilts! Very cozy! Now I have a whole load of scraps that never seem to empty even though I've made quite a few quilts from the bins. Your quilts are giving me inspiration to empty those bins.

patty a. said...

Your quilt turned out wonderful! Good job emptying that scrap bin. I don't think my scrap bins will ever be empty. It was an accomplishment to get the bulk of the scraps sorted by color. I do have my vintage scraps that are precious and I will keep them for repairs. I have been wondering - when does fabric become vintage? Hold old does it have to be? I still have a few scraps of fabric from when I started quilting. I look at it now and think that it might now qualify as vintage! LOL!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Your scrap bin is empty? Well, pick those scraps off the table and put them back in the bin!! LOL Just kidding. Enjoy it while it lasts! You make a lovely quilt out of those strings.

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>