Monday 5 February 2018

Maker Monday

Some recent and ongoing makes here:
A wire coat hanger transformed into two Featherweight thread stands.
Note: Older Singers like this need a thread stand when using cross-wound threads, like Aurifil,
because the sewing machines were manufactured during an era when all the threads were wound straight on a bobbin.
The thread stand lifts up the thread for even feeding.
My engineer son made these with a pair of pliers
and shrink-wrapped the end because he just happens to have shrink wrap and a heat gun.
Handy to have a handy guy around.

We've finished 36 quilt as you go log cabin blocks for this guild group project.
Today I'm sewing them together.
Stay tuned.
It's a lovely quilt with thousands of fabrics.

My friend Audrey finished her string pieced strip quilt,
based on a design I figured out as a group project.
You can see those over here and over here.
This was the first Sunday of January.
By the last Sunday, she had it quilted, bound and was showing it at a quilt retreat.

4 comments:

Julierose said...

Hi Brenda--I LOVe your string projects--beautiful colors--I just began a new one myself today..I must admit string quilting is my very favorite--just so freeing and relaxing...especially since I have my handy dandy little strip cutter...hugs, Julierose

Sharon said...

Love that log cabin you're making! What a fun variation! And I think your son is brilliant to come up with that thread guide from a coat hanger. Yes, very handy guy!

patty a. said...

The thread guide is great. Since I don't have any experience with featherweight machines, why did you need this thread guide? Was the spool too heavy to unwind?

Audrey's quilt is wonderful and the log cabin quilt top looks great!

Carli The Quilter said...

yeah that is a beautiful true scrap quilt.

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>