Monday 21 November 2016

Lots of triangulation here

A week ago I started sewing together 6.5 inch HST,
previously cut from scraps with my Accuquilt GO cutter.

The whole point was to empty a bin
and make a charity quilt 60 by 80 inches.


I put it together in a 9 by 11 grid,
which makes it 54 by 66 before borders.
Then I started auditioning borders.
I like this black and gold leafy print,
but it overwhelms the triangles.

Then I saw the cover of Gwen Marston's latest book titled Free Range Triangles
and dug through another scrap box of precut 3.5 inch HST to make a zig zag border.

I plan to border the whole quilt with a narrow inner border
and then add the zig zags.


So here's the dilemma:
Should I add another column of big HST and make it 60 inches wide
and just add the borders top and bottom?
Or take off a column of HST and sew the triangles in a 8 by 12 grid
before putting on the borders to get it close to 60 by 80?

The dimensions for a charity quilt can run a bit bigger,
but my problem is that my free batting that I was going to use in this quilt
only measure 60 inches wide.

And I really don't want to unpick a column.

I'm going to take it to my guild meeting tonight and get their opinions,
but feel free to weigh in.

I'm linking up with Beth and other Monday Makers



8 comments:

Ariane said...

Ahh! it's too bad you can't piece a bigger batting. Because it would look wonderful in the bigger size. it's looking amazing!!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I would just add a row to make it 60" and put the borders on top and bottom.

Miaismine said...

Such a beautiful quilt! I'm too new to quilting to add an opinion, but I can say you are amazing - lining up all those triangles so nicely! Wow!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Me? I would add another column of large triangles with borders at the top/bottom only. LOVELY quilt top in the making!

patty a. said...

I with Quiltdivajulie. I like the idea of the zig zags just on two sides.

Nifty Quilts said...

It looks great!! You're coming up with some great solutions. That's the fun part. Right?

beth s said...

IT's a wonderful quilt!! Love all those triangles! Good luck on decision making!

Feathers in my Nest said...

Beautiful!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>