Monday 25 May 2015

Looking at it another way


I  freely admit I'm cheap.
Or thrifty.
Or mostly reluctant to spend $15/metre on quilting fabric.
I love scouting the sale bins for something interesting
and I hit the jackpot this weekend at a local sale
known for its quirky merchandise and low prices. 
Above is my haul,

What will I do with this foundation piecing fabric?
I won't be making kaleidoscopes or braids,
but I will cut this up and use it in my quilts as a light/neutral.
Text prints are all the rage these days
and these were $1 a yard.

I bought four of these 18 inch squares for $2.
They're probably meant for napkins
but I'm thinking quilts.
I love the square set on point
the borders, 
and especially the orange. 


And this hand quilted piece?
I took a class with Marilynn Wiebe at Quilt Canada 10 years ago
and we learned to hand quilt on this design.
Looks like one of my classmates donated her sample.
I couldn't let this languish in the bargain bin for $8,
knowing how much work went into this.
I'm thinking about using it for dyeing experiments.

Stay tuned.



6 comments:

Jan said...

What a brilliant idea to use the foundation printed fabric as a text print! I purchased a flying geese panel many years back, and recently came across it, packed away. My only. Reason for keeping it was as a foundation for string piecing, or log cabin. I like your idea much better. It may work in a low volume type quilt, too, if using neutrals other than white-based.

Scrappy quilter said...

I'm with you on finding material on sale. I often find some at thrift stores and I'm always looking in the bins at quilt stores. Great find!!

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

WOW! I need to come shopping with you! I also am loathe to pay $13 a yard for fabric. Unless I really need something specific and quick, I buy on sale!

Kitty Greene said...

I love the foundation piecing fabrics, I've never seen those before.
I can think of lots of uses for those in other crafts.

patty a. said...

I almost never buy fabric at full price. At the quilt shop where I work twice a year just had their anniversary sale - 30% off. The most expensive quilting cotton is $11 a yard, backing can be $19 so at 30% off it is a good deal. I think the foundation fabric used as a low volume or background is brilliant!

Sharon said...

I like the way you think out of the box! You got some great deals. And I love your idea for the foundation-printed fabric. I need to go find the stuff that I have and look at it with a new eye! And using the hand-quilted piece to play with dyeing will be fun too. It would be interesting to see how the quilting changes how it takes the dye.

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>