Tuesday 5 May 2015

How should I quilt this?


For months, I've been waffling over how to machine quilt this.
Should I quilt the stars in a darker thread?
But how do I jump from one star to the next?
Should I just straight stitch through all the blocks?
Or meander around the stars
and quilt only in the light?

I'm also considering an all over design
where I would quilt in words and motifs
in a dark neutral thread.

I hate breaking thread repeatedly 
so I'm not keen on many starts and stops.

But I really want to get this done soon.

After all, Yvonne (below) started hers months after me
and she's nearly finished hand quilting hers.

if I was hand quilting,
I would stitch 1/4 around the stars
or in the ditch around them.

Ideas, please?



I'm linking up with the WIP Wednesdays at The Needle and Thread Network.







10 comments:

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

A difficult choice...I find hand quilting easier to pick a quilting pattern. But, have you thought about the cathedral window quilt pattern? It is continuos and looks very nice.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I would do straight stitch quilting edge to edge. Maybe an occasional wider strip with words free motion quilted into it would be a nice surprise.

sherry said...

i know you don't want to break threads but this quilt begs to be stitched in the ditch and then motifs in star…sorry but that is how i see it…deciding how to quilt the flimsy is always a tough decision

Nifty Quilts said...

It really depends on how much time you have to put into it. An all over design would be fine. But stitching around the stars and letting them have more puff would be wonderful. You could do whatever filler pattern you want in the lighter spaces.

Annie said...

How about an all over design with meandering loops and stars? Not to difficult to do but pretty and relevant to the block design.

em's scrapbag said...

I always struggle with how to quilt my quilts. Must tell you though that I love this quilt!

Tonya Ricucci said...

I'd do something scribbly allover. or have someone do it since I don't machine quilt myself.

roccagal said...

I like the idea of an allover meander or something loopy too-perhaps with a gold thread which would be nice with all the colors in the quilt!

Quilting Stories said...

I never machine quilt myself, therefore cannot give you my point of view! The only thing I can say is that I always prefer a color thread lighter than the fabric. I only use ecru thread.

sophie said...

I would outline the stars, leave the star points unquilted and quilt my favorite free-motion filler in the background. For me, it would likely be feathers, your preference may differ. I can't tell how large those friendship stars are ... if they are small enough, I'd leave them totally unquilted. Otherwise, I'd go back and, using a darker thread, quilt something (a spiral maybe) in the center ... even though it does mean some starts and stops as you move from center to center.

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>