Sunday 27 July 2014

Am I becoming a sewing machine hoarder?

Or just a collector?
Yesterday, this two-tone Singer 301A
came to live with me.
For $35, I purchased the machine in great condition
along with a cabinet and sewing chair.

This full-sized portable Singer was born in 1956
and was designed to fit in a cabinet or be portable.
It came in short and long bed options,
but only the short bed fit into a cabinet.

I'm dubbing her Susie after the granddaughter of the original owner,
who sold it to me yesterday.
She said something about whether this was my first sewing machine
and I admitted it wasn't.
I was hoping to find a 301 in a case as a take along machine,
but the cabinet is so lovely I'm going to keep it in there for now.

Here it is folded away into its cabinet, which measures 18 by 24.

Here's a view of the cradle for the 301.
It unsnaps at the right side and lifts out -- no unbolting necessary.

The foot pedal is mounted into the cabinet with clips
and there's a knee feed in the cabinet.

So, do I need to justify another sewing machine?
No, because I'm giving it a good home,
and I'm going to teach a young woman to quilt this year,
and this will be a perfect machine for that.

Did I say it sews beautifully? 
It made a lovely lock stitch after years of being folded away.
I've since oiled it and cleaned it and changed the needle.

How many machines do I have?
I'll tell if you tell!
Elna SU (zig zag and free arm) --40 years old
Juki TL98q for piecing and quilting 
Singer FW 222K for taking with me
Singer FW 221 given to me this spring
Singer 66 (I think) in a treadle cabinet, used as a table
unknown fiddle base hand crank, also mostly decorative
23-year-old Pfaff serger, which paid for itself when I made baby and children's clothing
and one red Little Queen toy sewing machine.

Let's go sew!



5 comments:

Beth said...

If you are a hoarder, I am your sister! I have a Bernina 150,Singer 99, TWO 301S, three Featherweights,a Baby Lock serger, A treadle in a cabinet (forgot what brand) and an Innova long arm! I am on the lookout for another 301. Hoping to start a monthly group for new sewers. They can use one of my machines if they don't want to schlep their own.(that is my story and I'm sticking to it!) You got a screaming deal! WTG!

antique quilter said...

thats an amazing price would love to just have the cabinet! collections grow but sometimes it just the way it is when a deal like this comes along you had to buy it! LOL
Kathie

patty a. said...

I have two Pfaff 1475CD and one Pfaff 1471 that was my Mom's. I am a Pfaff girl!

YankeeQuilter said...

I learned to sew on one of these! Didn't have the cabinet though. We set it up on the dining room table! And as for hoarding machines? I'm right there with ya!

Quilter Kathy said...

I am your long lost twin sister (perhaps the evil one?!?!) I just picked up TWO 301A machines last week and haven't had the nerve to fess up on my blog yet! it's a sickness!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>