Monday 7 April 2014

Off the wall and ready to quilt

Three quilts basted and ready to quilt.
I may show you some more of the backs as I quilt them,
but I won't be posting the fronts until late May.

My mother and I are the featured quilters at a local show
and I want to ensure visitors have something new to see
that they haven't seen here first.



But I will leave you with a quilty pix.
Here's my son and his grandma (my mother)
with his completed donated blanket.
He sewed the entire top himself
and layered and tied it with a little help from grandma and mom.



He's doing this for a school project
and then donating the blanket to Mennonite Central Committee
to send to people in need.
The back is a pinstriped wool suiting donated by a friend.

He's proud of himself, and I'm proud of him.
He didn't complain during the sewing parts, 
and calmly rethreaded the machine when there were problems.
He learned about tension and seam allowance
and all the steps to make a top
and layer it and complete it.

He had to spend at least eight hours on this personal project
for a religion course at his school
and I estimate he spent five hours piecing
and at least three more layering and tieing it,
plus another hour for the edge finish,
where he brought the front to the back
and stitched it down with a serpentine stitch.

I'm linking to Judy's Design Wall Mondays.

2 comments:

sophie said...

Your son did great and I'll bet he has a new appreciate for the quilts that you and his grandmother make. Plus it's for charity–Win, win, WIN!

Sharon said...

Your son did a great job! It must run in the family! And Grandma looks pretty proud too.

Good luck on the quilting. Wish I was close enough to attend your show!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>