Thursday 26 April 2012

Where "old" fabric comes to life

I live in a city with several discount fabric stores, and not very many quilt shops.
I also like to touch fabric before I buy it, so I don't shop online often.
So sometimes, I'm buying what other quiltmakers might consider old fabric.
Yesterday I brought home two metres of this vintage-y looking cityscape print
called Posy Party, dated 2007.
I love the teal, the retro drawings, and most of all, the silky hand of the fabric.
Even the clerk cutting if for me remarked on how nice the fabric felt.
The best part? It is only $4 per metre.
I'm thinking I may make some of it into a summer skirt
and use the rest in quilting projects.

This Kaufman print from the Efferescent line reminded me
of Sherri Lynn's mood mod quilt
with its swirls of colour.
I know this will be great with the Kona solids I've been collecting.

I've made a bit of progress quilting this wonky star quilt,
but I'm still figuring out what to do in the white spaces.

Meanwhile, over at the String Thing Along,
our anything goes scrap string quilt is growing.
Come over and see what we're doing.

8 comments:

imquilternity said...

I love both of those fabrics, but especially the one by Kaufman. What will you do with them? It's wonderful when you find a nice, soft fabric. They are much harder to find these days, it seems.

Michelle in Saskatoon said...

I like your string quilt-- isn't it nice to have a project you can just keep adding on to until you get tired of doing it?

Michelle in Saskatoon said...

I like your string quilt-- isn't it nice to have a project you can just keep adding on to until you get tired of doing it?

Heidi said...

Both fabrics are beautiful and who cares they are 'old' ??
Love your liberated stars quilt, but sorry, no advice on the white spaces ;-)

Cheryl Coville said...

I agree with you it's nice to be able to feel the fabric before you buy it. So much of the fun of sewing/quilting is the feel of the fabrics.

M-R Charbonneau said...

Oooh, I love your projects!

elle said...

Ooh, you have some good things happening here. The last thing I need is more fabric but I,too, understand your fabric store dilemma. Where in the city did you find that gorgeous Posy Party fabric? The price is impressive.

Joyce said...

Did you get the fabric at Mitchell's? I don't often go there because it is so out of the way for me compared to NorthWest but I do love their retro section.

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>