Friday 27 April 2012

A sparkly and long overdue finish for Friday

Faith Seeking Understanding
free pieced letters
hand quilted and hand beaded, machine quilting
24 by 42 inches

This quote from St. Anselm of Canterbury dates back to medieval times
so I used the idea of an illuminated letter
(large, decorated first letter)
The capital F is hand beaded with seed beads,
outlined with a double line of big stitches
and then again in gold bugle beads.

I also included the English version of the Latin quote
in free motion machine quilting

Here's the back where you can see the density of hand stitching
and the machine handwriting

This quilt also incorporates a huge variety of text prints
in the background and the letters.

Fides quaerens intellectum
which translates to faith seeking understanding.
If you want a more theological understanding, leave me a comment and we'll talk.

I'm linking up to Amanda's last week of Finish Up Fridays
and Sarah's Can I get a whoop whoop?
and Sew Many Ways' Find a Friend Friday

11 comments:

beth said...

I love this! I may do some research on this quote myself. ;)

Kat said...

Wow. This is GORGEOUS! How much work you put into this! I don't think I have the words to say how much I *L*O*V*E* this quilt! I have an "Unruly Letters" book and I've been hoping to try some soon... but now you've given me so many other ideas just from this one piece. Spectacular!!

Breesmimi said...

Hi I found you on Sew Many Ways, Find a Friend Friday. L O V E your quilt!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Have I told you lately how much I love your lettering work? This is a marvelous piece, on EVERY level!

Gayle said...

I love it!!!

a maidenhair fern said...

very cute, and creative. Even the quilting is great!

Quilter Kathy said...

Fabulous! Love the special touches that make this even more wonderful!

Magpie Sue said...

Very impressive.

Your Creative Friends at the Calico House said...

My first reaction was that I was so pleased to see your unusual quilt. Thank you for sharing it.

Tonya Ricucci said...

congrats!

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

Congratulations on a job well done!! It makes good advice whatever meaning one might choose to put into it.

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>