Saturday 25 June 2011

The fabric of our lives

Today,  a couple of vintage tablecloths came home with me, but not before they told me a story, and maybe a life lesson or two.
I collect linen tea towels and tablecloths, so I'm always on the lookout for those at thrift shops and yard sales. Today I happened upon a yard sale for an elderly woman moving out of her home, so I thought I might get lucky.
I bought this cross-stitched cotton tablecloth, probably made from a sugar or flour sack, for 50 cents. Whether the currency is Canadian, or US, that's pretty cheap. It has significant yellow stains on it, and so I'm soaking it with homemade laundry soap again and will hang it out to dry.

While I was attempting to pay the friendly, younger woman running the sale, the elderly owner came up to me and told me the tablecloth was not for sale at the 50 cents on the sticker.  And indeed, the previous price tags on it said $10 and $8.
"My neighbour made that for me," she said. "I was going to give it to my minister." And then she grabbed it out of my hands. The younger woman reminded her that the stains made it cheaper, but the older woman insisted she could remove the discolouration with soda and vinegar.

I asked for the price of the other tablecloth I was still holding, a pretty pink linen one. The younger woman told me $2.

"All the tablecloths are $2-50," the owner interrupted,, still cradling the embroidered one. I told her that was fine, and handed over my money. Then she smiled at me, and handed me back the embroidered one.

I was surprised, but I assured her that I wanted it BECAUSE it was hand embroidered and that I was planning to remove the stains and give it new life.
I'm not sure if the stains will come out, and I might try tea dyeing it, or hanging it in the sun for a few more days. But no matter what happens, I'll remember the woman who once owned it, who cherished it even though it was stained, because it was made for her by her neighbour and it carried lots of memories from times past.
This tablecloth was part of the fabric of her life -- and for 50 cents and the time to listen to her-- now it is also part of the fabric of mine.

12 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

What a LOVELY post ... many hugs to you!

Finn said...

Your encounter with the tablecloth and it's owner is really interesting at so many levels. How much easier for the younger person to see it as "to sell" vs. the older woman seeing something deeper about it. It seems to be a scenario that plays out more often than you would think. I can't begin to tell you delight and proud I am as you handled what could have been an awful situation.
I was suprised at the ending of the sage, her handing it to you, and yet, felt as if you had passed some sort of test and it was ok for the cloth to live with you. You were magnificant! And both cloths are just lovely, stains or no stains. Hugs, Finn

Elaine Adair said...

I read the other comments first before making my comment, which is, "I'm not sure what to make of it!" The thought of "a test" DID come to mind. I think this is something like "what goes around, comes around." There's a lesson in there somewhere. It's a touching story. 8-))

Nancy said...

I am positive that the yellow stain will come out if left in the sun to dry. You may have to wash it a couple of times, but it will sun bleach.

All crafters/artists want their work and time to be appreciated. You demonstrated both to the older woman. Kudos.

Susan said...

What a great story...good for you for rescuing these treasures!

You might try soaking it in Biz...that stuff works wonders on old linens!

fabriquefantastique said...

I am also a big believer in sunlight....specially when laid out on the grass

Barb said...

What wonderful finds...and well....it is hard to give up things you have cherished for a while....

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

Wonderful finds indeed! I too collect table cloths but had to put the brakes on because I'm running out of storage space. They take up far more room than half a yard cuts of fabric, don't they.

Rosalyn Manesse said...

What a great story. And it's a treasure when you find something hand made.

Live a Colorful Life said...

What a wonderful story! I have a basket where I keep fabric/patterns that I'm planning to use for my granddaughter, Charlotte, and I have three vintage embroidered pillowcases in there. I had just gotten them out this morning before I read this, because I'm planning to make a little dress out of one of them. so tell me again the best way to get stains out, please?

Myra said...

Wow! What a story about that table cloth!! And now what a memory for you!!! lol! 8-)
Great buys!

Sharon said...

What a great story . . . and beautiful tablecloths. I'm quite partial to hand-embroidered linens myself, and try to "rescue" them when I find them. Let us know how the stain removal goes!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>