Friday 27 May 2011

I'm a city quilter

My traveling companion pointed out something interesting that I take for granted: quilters find each other.
Beginnings of AAQI quilt with tiny triangles

While we were walking in Manhattan last weekend, we spied several women with bags from City Quilter, so of course, I talked to them.

AAQI quilt with bigger borders, now measuring 9 by 10 inches

The next day, while I was at City Quilter, lots of people talked to me, including Victoria from Bumble Beans, who I only knew through blogging.

"made" fabric from a bag of scraps sent by Victoria

Later that day, in the Tick Tock Diner near Macy's, I was admiring my purchases from City Quilter when a couple of other women stopped by just to talk about fabric and quiltmaking.

another block, both made for the 15 minutes play Bee

My friend was surprised that quiltmaking and fabric stores had brought total strangers together. I guess I'm used to it, so I hadn't noticed until she pointed it out.

If you live in or near Winnipeg, check out the quilt show and sale at Mennonite Central Committee, 134 Plaza drive, from 1 - 8 p.m. today and 10 to 3 p.m. Saturday. I'm at the silent auction table this afternoon, so say hello. I'm always happy to make strangers who quilt into friends who quilt!

11 comments:

Lee D said...

If I were in Wpg I would be sure to stop in. I bet the quilt show will be amazing. Quilters always seem to find each other everywhere!

fabriquefantastique said...

I would if I could....enjoy your show

Greta said...

I've donated (and bought!) several quilts at the Iowa City, Iowa MCC silent auction! I totally love that scene though I've become a Unitarian Universalist.

Jodi said...

Brenda, I LOVE your scrappies! I'm making some, but yours are much prettier~

Helen Bazinet said...

Saw your quilt at the show today, so much better up close also enjoy you blog.

Sharon said...

Love your little AAQI beginnings! Very charming!
I never thought about it, but I guess quilters DO seem to find each other! Funny, isn't it? And neat!

Joyce said...

Sorry I'll have to miss that show as I'm expecting company today. Quilters can definitely spot each other across a crowded room, and always have a lot to say to each other.

jovaliquilts said...

What a great story! I always feel free to talk to others in quilt shops, I feel we are all somehow 'friends.' :)

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

that is so fun! didnt' we have fun too? we just might make a Quilter out of Gaynette yet! (all of us quilters!)

Beth said...

Oh!I so wish I could introduced you to my family. They think I'm the only person on the planet that talks to quilty people. Quilts and fabric just attract other quilters...like a magnet

Annie said...

Talking to total strangers in quilt shops (or shows) is a common thing to me, but here in the South strangers talk to strangers all the time! In grocery stores, Walmart, Target, the library—all over the place! People from other parts of the country think it's odd and they don't understand it. People are just friendly here! Come on down, y'all!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>