Tuesday 18 January 2011

Mail call

Actually, this is the reverse. I'm good at making blocks and things for others, but getting to the mailbox is another thing. So by posting these, I'm putting a bit of pressure on myself to get them in the mail.
A Singer Featherweight pad for a blog friend, who just became the proud mama of a new-to-her FW. I pieced strips onto an 18 inch square batting, put a backing on it and practiced my freemotion quilting, then cut off a 5 inch strip from one side to make the pocket. It's sort of a placemat with benefits.

A "S" measuring 10.5 inches for Shannon, who is collecting them in bright colours to make herself a birthday quilt. Bright enough for you? oh, and that checked border around it is not part of the block -- it's a piece of flannel that was up on my design wall.

The beginnings of a banner for my church.  Sorry for the blurry pix. My camera is dying. And yes, it will say "know", but I stopped for the day before tackling the W, one of my least favourite letters to make. These letters are finishing at about 4.5 inches for the lowercase b and k. I'm using strips ranging in size from 3/4 inch to 2 inches, contrasting with the 2.5 inch strips I used for Shannon's S. The background is a light aqua batik, and the letters are batik scraps in dark greens, blues, and purples. I'm going for good contrast in this since it will be viewed from further away. I'm hoping for a finished banner 24 by 36 or so.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your letters. I'm seeing that these letters are rather like handwriting and each 'writer' has a recognizable style.

Karen S in Edmonton

jovaliquilts said...

Boy, do I hear you about the W! My bad ones aren't even good enough to save for anything. The banner is lovely, I like the width variation in the letters -- looks like the old quill pen widths.

Tonya Ricucci said...

try the w I put directions for in the book - I think it's easier... letters looking good and I love that checked bit around the S. would be fun for the sashing...

Gari in AL said...

I know your friend will enjoy her FW pad as much as I do mine.

Mary Lou Weidman said...

I am so excited to see this post as I have started a few Bible scriptures and they are fun and once they hang on the wall I know that my Grandchildren will try to read them and hey, that is the goal. Yours are GREAT! Thank you.

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>