Thursday 21 October 2010

Piles of finishes... and a few not yet there

I like the idea of finishing-- a story, an assignment, or a quilt. This one hasn't been a long work in progress, but I got the binding on it this week. I didn't have enough of the yellow from the sashing for the binding, so I was stalled for a bit until my ever wise mother suggested a candy-stripe binding.

 It works because the orange and aqua and white play nicely with the back too
I also washed this quilt and the raw edges yield two fist-fulls of threads. But now it's ready and waiting for the right owner.....

Meanwhile, I "enhanced the stash" during a trip to a shop to buy thread. These are three Sevenberry prints from their Child's play marching band line....and they were a good price. So I bought two metres because...

lately I've been making lots of baby quilts for the local children's hospital, mostly from scraps. Here's the stack that I'm going to pass on to a fellow guild member who will take them to the hospital.


I think it's an impressive stack of five quilts and blankets, including this one that I just washed and now looks great....

but then when I tidied up the sewing room I started piling up the tops needing quilting. looks impressive, right? or maybe a bit scary.... how does this get so out of hand? To be fair, only one of these is a bed-sized quilt, two are table runners, one is a word quilt meant for the wall and a couple are throw-sized...

but still, it's one impressive pile. got to get to it......soon!

9 comments:

Elaine Adair said...

What a beautiful stack. The first one especially, just goes to show that sometimes the 'simplest' is the best. Now, I know that making it was not simple but the end result is so very warm and cozy and comforting. Wish it was coming to my house. 8-))

Lee D said...

love that scrappy quilt, might have to put that one on my very long to-do-one-day list

heath said...

I like the PhDs piled up and photographed. There's a goal and an achievement in there!

Joyce said...

The candy stripe binding is perfect.
If I didn't have the quilting frame I would never get my tops quilted. In fact they still pile up. Maybe we like piecing better than quilting?

Quiltdivajulie said...

It is ALL good . . . all of it! Enjoy the feelings!

Millie said...

I love all your scrappy quilts.

Teresa Rawson said...

Nice finish...your mom was right (aren't they always?!?)...the candy stripe binding really finishes things nicely!

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

MamaT said...

Nice stacks! I love the first quilt. You did a great job.

Sharon said...

Wow, your Ticker Tape quilt is wonderful!! I think you've inspired a lot of people with this great quilt. And the binding is just right too. I'm consumed with envy here!

That is an impressive pile o' tops to be quilted. You should feel like you've already accomplished a great deal. But I understand about the quilting. I KNOW I like piecing lots better than quilting!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>