Wednesday 1 September 2010

Reading quilts in the library

 Let me take you on a little tour of my local library


This is the Cornish Branch of the Winnipeg Public Library. It was built in 1914 with money from American  philanthropist Andrew Carnegie.

Let's  go inside.
Oh my. Words fail me! It's my quilt hanging above the stacks.
(Yes, this is one cool library. They have permanent quilt racks.)
Here's two more, even colour coordinated. How fun is that!
Now it's starting to feel homey!

And look, three more, with lots of room to spare.
Yes, I've lent seven of my quilts to my local branch of the public library, for everyone to enjoy. None of them are hanging in direct sunlight and they're all above the 5 ft high bookcases, so no one can touch them.

This one I didn't make.... it's a permanent installation made by a local guild depicting the neighbourhood around the library. You can see the library in the middle and my sons' elementary school is on the bottom left. It's a lovely limestone building constructed in 1913. My house looks most like the one in the bottom, right between the trees.
These quilts will remain at Cornish Library, 20 West Gate, in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada until Nov. 30. If you're in town, please stop by during library hours (1 to 8:30 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday and Saturday.)

22 comments:

beth said...

How fun for you!!! Love all your quilts!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

How very cool Brenda! They are so lucky to have you loan those beauties.

Maria said...

How good is that!! Lovely quilts.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Our library has a small glass case for rotating displays by local folks, but they don't do quilts or large paintings. Sigh - they're not as forward thinking as your library!

LOVELY to see your work displayed this way . . .

Elaine Adair said...

How cozy - quilts AND books! 8-))

Terri said...

Lovely quilt show! I'm so impressed with Winnipeg. Here in the States lots of our Carnegie libraries are destroyed because of the accessibility for handicapped.
We visited Winnipeg about 15 years ago, doing some research into my husband's family tree. (His great greats were married at a cathedral in the French section. We stayed at the Fort Gary Hotel built on the spot where the original fort where his gg grandfather worked.) Anyway, we were impressed by the cleanliness and beauty of your city. Thanks for the library shots. Good job on the quilts. I love the words - gotta try that! Terri

Unknown said...

I'm a librarian and a new quilter, so I'm ultra jealous of your local library. I love that they've displayed your work. Thanks for sharing!

Finn said...

Awesome to see your lovely and creative quilts hanging in public for all to see(and read!!) Congratulations!! Hugs, Finn

Dolores said...

How wonderful. Congratulations and with school starting, more people will be visiting the library to view them.

Cloverleaf Art and Fibre said...

I work in the Cornish Library, and I can add that not only are we lucky to have beautiful quilts in the building, we have the coolest patrons in the whole city!
- Margaret

Sharon said...

Congratulations, Brenda! What a cool library, and how lucky they are that you loaned them your great quilts! I think it's super-cool that people can read your quilts at the library!

Helen in the UK said...

What a cool library display! Congrats on having your great quilts displayed this way :)

Clare said...

What an honour. Very apt to have such lovely quilts in a library.

Marit said...

Brenda, what a fabulous exhibition! Congratulations! Your quilts are both pretty and playful. They absolutely deserve a big audience!

; )

Tonya Ricucci said...

that is awesome!!!! wheee, love your quilts and I'm so impressed with your library - beautiful building and quilt racks no less.

Joyce said...

That is a beautiful library. And who was the genius who decided it needed quilt racks? Your quilts go perfectly in a library. Great show!

quilthexle said...

Awesome - "readable" quilts in a library! I absolutely LOVE this idea - and of course, I love your quilts ;-))

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Congrats Brenda--makes me want to take a trip to Canada!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Oh how wonderful! What an honor to you, and a wonderful way to share with the community.

Diane said...

FABULOUS display! I think the winter quilt is my favorite.

sophie said...

Your quilts look fabulous hanging in the library. What a wonderful way to share your art.

joyce said...

I adore them all. I especially like the house one. (there's no place like..) and the one with the words going around and around. Incredible work.

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>